Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

PB-4 Bellows / NEX C3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: PB-4 Bellows / NEX C3 Reply with quote

I just got the bellows, they are the tilt/shift Nikon ones. Lashed up a Kodak Anastigmat, and attached the NEX via Spiratone F to M42, M42 to NEX adapters... I still have bits coming & better ways to attach the lenses, and a tilt NEX adapter to add, but for fun:

modern view camera by Nesster, on Flickr

modern view camera by Nesster, on Flickr

flower by Nesster, on Flickr

fern by Nesster, on Flickr

lawn chair, green by Nesster, on Flickr

lamp sofa by Nesster, on Flickr

PanoYard by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice ones. I've been meaning to do similar. I have both the PB-4 bellows and the Hama-made Spiratone Bellows Master SST, which looks like a miniaturized Technikardan or something. They are both fairly recent acquisitions and I haven't actually taken them out and used them yet.

Only problem for me that I can forsee is lenses. I have the macro lens that came with the Spiratone bellows -- it's a Spiratone 150mm f/4.5 Macrotel. I tested it to determine its image circle and I was pleasantly surprised -- it's somewhere around 6 inches (15cm). So it will allow plenty of movement. But if I wanted to use one of my 35mm lenses, I've tested a few of them too and they all have predictably narrow image circles. But I wonder -- I know the PB-4 has rather limited movements. Perhaps this is why -- Nikon determined how much movement was excessive and restricted the movements of its bellows in light of this? Seems like it would make sense. And probably the only reason why the Spiratone SST has the movements it does is because of that lens that comes with them.

I was gonna ask what your old Kodak's image circle is, then I noticed on your photo that the front of the lens reads "4x5". Well, you won't have problem with movements, will you? Cool

So you just used gaffers tape to hold it on the bellows front standard, or? It and Duck Tape keep the Universe from falling apart, you ask me.

Nice photos too. Mustn't forget them. I guess the Kodak is in barrel, eh? (e.g., no aperture assembly) I wonder what sort of rig a guy would have to cobble up to mount a lens with a decent sized image circle and with an aperture assembly onto the front of that PB-4. Seems like it would get rather complicated in a hurry. Front-mounted Waterhouse stops, maybe?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I guess the Kodak is in barrel, eh? (e.g., no aperture assembly) I wonder what sort of rig a guy would have to cobble up to mount a lens with a decent sized image circle and with an aperture assembly onto the front of that PB-4.

These lenses do come with aperture mechanisms - the only thing missing is the shutter mechanism. The complicated part comes when one tries to make a more secure/precise mounting of one of these, I've seen people (and myself) go with a whole hodge podge of adapters and tubes ... for example, having discovered the Miranda screw works with my 2x3 graflex boards, I've been keen on them.

Oh and my extra bits have come so I can try this full frame Smile

Here's another try -- I stacked and merged a bunch of exposures with the NEX C3

flower view by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put up a Parking lot by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:

Put up a Parking lot by Nesster, on Flickr

bizarre effect. interesting technique!

Re the bellows, cant you make something to hold them nearer the camera? I would make an adapter out of a NEX reversing ring with a shallow Nikon extension tube stuck to the front. I did it with an M42. This keeps the bellows closer to the camera. More elegant and better balanced.

Excellent results with the lens.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks -- I thought I had a Nikon-NEX adapter, but I could not find it... so maybe I don't have one. That should be the simplest.

The D600 mounts fine vertically, but the flash bulge will get marred when I turn the camera. So I'll be using a very short tube with the Nikon.