Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kiev first film disappointment
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Kiev first film disappointment Reply with quote

I finished using the first roll of film in my new Kiev 4 with disastrous results.

The first 2 photos were with the Jupiter 8 lens, the second two were taken with the Helios-103. I think its a rangefinder problem.

Can any one help me to adjust the rangefinder?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

take a research in Google I think easy to adjust, surely RF issue, good idea to buy cheap ultrasonic distance meter in local hardware or mega store and compare wall distance with both.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www3.telus.net/public/rpnchbck/adjust%20rangefinder.html

It does not look easy, but you might get lucky.

The other thing to do is change the shims in the lenses to match the camera. The lenses front-focus, meaning yo can remove or reduce the shims. Get an exact measurement of how far the lens disagrees with the RF. Use a ruler, and ground glass at the film gate. If you can quantify the error, I can compute the needed change in the shim.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does rangefinder, lens scale and actual distance make sense?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:

Sorry about the delay I've not had a lot of time to deal with this problem.

No the distance scale is way out.

In fact; in the locked, infinity setting the rangefinder image is to the left, when you start focusing nothing moves until you reach the 3.5m mark. So effectively the rangefinder focuses infinity when the lens is at about 2.75m.

I have looked at the procedure for adjusting the camera, it is a complete disassembly job. I am not prepared to attempt this.

I will get a quote but ultimately my lovely camera will probably be just an ornament.

I've starting collecting a little lens kit for this camera so I'm looking for a Kiev or Contax in working order. Anyone here help?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Kiev 4 which I've only used once and it's been in a box since then. But it looks so nice I'm not sure I'd want to let it go. How badly do you want one?

Btw, I have photos of it here.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
kansalliskala wrote:

Sorry about the delay I've not had a lot of time to deal with this problem.

No the distance scale is way out.

In fact; in the locked, infinity setting the rangefinder image is to the left, when you start focusing nothing moves until you reach the 3.5m mark. So effectively the rangefinder focuses infinity when the lens is at about 2.75m.

I have looked at the procedure for adjusting the camera, it is a complete disassembly job. I am not prepared to attempt this.

I will get a quote but ultimately my lovely camera will probably be just an ornament.

I've starting collecting a little lens kit for this camera so I'm looking for a Kiev or Contax in working order. Anyone here help?

Try your luck on eBay again.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Try your luck on eBay again.

Yes!!!!
Klaus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:

It is not that bad actually, if the rangefinder makes any sense, the adjusting of helicoid isn't that bad. (if the cogs are all right?)

Does the shutter work correctly?
Are light seals ok?
Is it one with exposure meter?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
philslizzy wrote:

It is not that bad actually, if the rangefinder makes any sense, the adjusting of helicoid isn't that bad. (if the cogs are all right?)

Does the shutter work correctly?
Are light seals ok?
Is it one with exposure meter?

Everything else is working just fine, no problem with the meter and shutter seems ok. my photos above are as they came from the lab and the negs are nice.

I have read up several articles on adjusting the rangefinder and it involves almost dismantling the camera, removing the shutter mechanism is quite a job and if anything goes wrong...

I am looking online for a body, but this was only bought really for nostalgia's sake, I don't know If I want to spend almost £50 now. But if one came along...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adjusting a Kiev rangefinder doesn't need to completely dismantle the camera: it just needs to remove the top cover and let exposed the rangefinder's focusing system.

On the net it's plenty of information on how to do it by yourself, if you don't think to send the camera to a repairman.

By the way, to know whether the rangefinder is correct or not, just lock the helical to infinity and look through the wiewfinder to see if -let's say- a very far tree or a clocktower appear as being aligned.

If yes, it's a problem of shimming either of the lens, or of the plate holding the focusing helical.

best wishes,

E.L.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens is not aligned at infinity, the rangefinder shows way past it, it hits infinity when the lens mount shows about 3metres.

I will take the top off for a peep in a few days

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elmar Lang wrote:
If yes, it's a problem of shimming either of the lens, or of the plate holding the focusing helical.

Actually you get the whole helicoid part off pretty easy, but adjusting is trial and error when putting it back. And if you use 2.0 lenses you must fine calibrate the rangefinder too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www3.telus.net/public/rpnchbck/helical%20remove.html

Here, you can do it with a sharp toothpick. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
http://www3.telus.net/public/rpnchbck/helical%20remove.html

Here, you can do it with a sharp toothpick. Smile

I'll give it a go, I've nothing to lose, I've just come home with a Contax II !!

If it fails I can make a NEX adapter with the lens mount. I've a nice little 5cm Sonnar bought from another member.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiev serviced available here.
http://stores.ebay.fr/emjaybe63/Kiev-Rangefinders-/_i.html?_fsub=4805210013&_sid=685209563&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Mike is a nice guy.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Kiev serviced available here.
http://stores.ebay.fr/emjaybe63/Kiev-Rangefinders-/_i.html?_fsub=4805210013&_sid=685209563&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Mike is a nice guy.

He repairs them? I cant find this service in his shop.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He services and/or repairs them before selling.
I don't know wether he repairs them if we send them to him.

But Thierry, a french man I know, likes a lot repairing them.
Here is his blog. Write to him. Wink
http://t.hacquard.free.fr/site2/accueil_en.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you olivier I will consider it. I'll take a look at his blog.

The camera is not valuable, and now I have a Contax so repairing it is not a priority. I am still able to focus using the scale so the camera is useful.

Again thanks for your reply

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with your attempt to adjust the Rangefinder's accuracy.

It's easier to do that practically, than describing it with words.

A good Kiev can be an excellent camera: I have my 4A since the mid '70s and it never broke or had problems, although having used it a lot. It's still one of my favourite cameras, along with my RF Contaxes.

Best wishes,

Enzo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elmar Lang wrote:
Good luck with your attempt to adjust the Rangefinder's accuracy.

It's easier to do that practically, than describing it with words.

A good Kiev can be an excellent camera: I have my 4A since the mid '70s and it never broke or had problems, although having used it a lot. It's still one of my favourite cameras, along with my RF Contaxes.

Best wishes,

Enzo

Thanks Enzo, I hd a Kiev back in the 70's too and loved it. Then I bought a Zenit B, as crappy as it was, I realised how much easier it was to use a SLR rather than a rangefinder with external viewfinder and parallax problems!.

The repair looks simple enough, I bought a body for a few pounds that was broken and had a look inside. The rangefinder had exactly the same problems as mine but I couldnt find a way of fixing it. It probably is easy but I couldnt get the hang of it.

I used the focus mount to make an adapter for my NEX. Piece of cake and it takes the external bayonet lenses too.

This project is on hold as the 'spare room cum tinkering room' has had to house a load of stuff the landlord threatened to throw out if it wasnt moved Crying or Very sad