Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Old Tokina Auto Tele Lenses (Soligor & Sears)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Old Tokina Auto Tele Lenses (Soligor & Sears) Reply with quote

I just got my long-sought Tokina 250/4.5 T4 Auto lens ( a Soligor), plus a very different version of the 200/3.5 (also a Soligor) that member Casualcollector told me about. Thank you !

For the sake of comparison I lined them up - left to right - 300/5.5 (Sears), 250/4.5(Soligor), original 200/3.5(Sears), later 200/3.5 (Soligor)

The 250/4.5 is a much longer lens than the 300, I'm guessing this one is a simpler optical setup. The newer 200/3.5 is much smaller than the old version, its really quite a compact and handy lens.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking lenses!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Great looking lenses!

+1

I'm interested in these old Tokinas as I see 200 and 250mm ones very cheap all the time and crucially, they have tripod mount rings. I have the superb Konica 3.5/200 and 4.5/300 but I can't use them with my NEX due to their lack of tripod mount rings.

Luis, can you tell me which ones to look for and give me some impression of their quality? I don't care about colours and contrast, I can fix that in PP. Sharpness is my main concern, followed by purple fringing, although I think I can correct that quite well with ACR 6.7 now.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis, do youthe know what is the IQ of that 4 lenses?

Ian, don't forget the rokkor 300/4,5. It's good.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't like the 300mm and the longer 200mm in this lineup, CA and fringing wont be acceptable to you from what I understand of your requirements.

The 250 and short 200 (no tripod mount) are much better, whether they are up to your standards I cant say.

Your best bet in this line is actually the 300/5.5 preset, that's a very different beast from the 300/5.5 auto (simple optical formula, the 300/5.5 auto is quite an extreme telephoto) and a better lens, and for that matter the 200/4.5 preset also. Both have tripod mounts.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Luis and Juan.

For 300mm, I have the Tair-3, which has the essential tripod mount. What I need is a decent 200 with a tripod mount. I have never manged to find a tripod ring to fit my Konica 3.5/200, they only seem to sell them in a couple of large sizes.

A 200mm that is sufficiently good for the 6mp sensor of my Nikon D50 is what I'm looking for really, as I have the small and light Topcon 5.6/200 I can use on the NEX and that just about works without too much wobble on the NEX on a tripod.

I'm not sure what level of CA and fringing I can deal with because I will be doing HDR and I have two ways of reducing CA and fringing - firstly in Adobe Camera Raw, then in Photomatix when it compiles the HDRs.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the one you may want to look into -

http://forum.mflenses.com/lentar-tokina-200-4-5-preset-another-lens-of-many-names-t11353,highlight,%2Btokina+%2B200.html

Hi Juan,

In my opinion they are all perfectly fine. But I am not too sensitive to abberrations on tele lenses.
The 300/5.5 has significant CA and purple fringing. The 200/3.5 larger version is worse. Both are not quite sharp wide open on my 12mp sensor.
The 250/4.5 is quite good, at least on my 12mp sensor, with no great aberrations, and also the short 200/3.5
I have taken good pictures with all of them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Dollonds / Tokina 200 3.5 I picked up the other day still impresses me. It's small and light enough for the NEX as well.

http://forum.mflenses.com/dollonds-s-200mm-f3-5-t61966.html

we might be in The Lakes in a couple of weeks, I'll bring this along.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Luis.

Both of those are very common here in the Uk and can be bought for next to nothing. I happen to have a very nice condition copy of the 135mm badged Hanimex on my NEX-3 atm, awaiting a break in the weather to try out. I bought it for99p intended to remove the glass and use the helicoid to mount a Rodenstock enlarger lens that is wonderful, but the lens is in such nice shape, I'm loathe to kill it.

Not hard to find that 200 for peanuts, so I'll grab one.

Cheers Dave, I might have a tripod ring to fit it, I have a couple of small ones from 300mm lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the back it's 50mm dia, but a ring would cover the hyperfocal scale - there's still room for the focus ring to fully travel. At the front just behind the stop down ring it's 65mm. ( and I'm still searching for a 59mm tripod mount ring, but a 60mm will do just as well )