Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Innovations in SLR's
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Innovations in SLR's Reply with quote

Does any other camera other than the Canon Eos 1000f and 1000fn have soft focus options built in? Just wondering!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Innovations in SLR's Reply with quote

trev wrote:
Does any other camera other than the Canon Eos 1000f and 1000fn have soft focus options built in? Just wondering!

Well I can't answer your question, but you can always use a soft focus\diffuser filter on your lens for any SLR...maybe for TLR cameras as well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Minolta Dynax film cameras got these Creative Expansion cards, I think the "Fantasy Card 2" is a kind of soft filter (probably one of the effects is the apodization filtering)
http://www.sds.com/mug/card.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick a Meritar on the front, or a Domiplan or a 1930's uncoated Sonnar. They've always worked for me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dynax 7 i believe did a simulated STF mode

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never tried those cards except A/S (gee thanks minolta for crippling perfectly good cameras)

But I would suppose for apodization you would require the famous Minolta STF lens,
no need for card then.

Card "fantasy" maybe does something like open aperture wide and +0.75 exposure, and maybe focus shift by whatever, I would guess. On a non crippled SLR you can do all these fancy things yourself - except maybe the xi motor zoom tricks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buerokratiehasser wrote:
But I would suppose for apodization you would require the famous Minolta STF lens,
no need for card then.

I never had a Dynax 7 but, as far as I read about it, it could close the aperture during exposure (and not before it) following an algorithm. This way an apodization effect could be induced to any lens by the moving diaphragm.
As I said, I never had it, so I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mhmhm, that's clever. Giving a "mix" of wide open and closed aperture,similar to oilstick 35-70

Only problems, the aperture closes pretty fast (with a non-oiled lens), so you'd need either pretty exact 1/50 s or whatever exposure, or pretty long exposures and really exact timing of the aperture lever.

Never heard about that one - thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: LARRY KING Reply with quote

I would suppose for apodization you would require the famous Minolta STF lens, no need for card then.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I understand they do not move the iris during the exposure, but between a multiple exposure. SO only for tripod work.
But do not remember where I read this :-/

It should be no big work to have the Canon EF lenses move the iris during exposure, probably we get this in some years Smile Probably not by Canon, but with special firmware update?
Would work only for x-sync and longer exposure times, but this would be still helpful.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, so its a kind off gotcha eh? The two aforementioned Canons have the so called soft focus built into the bodies each with two settings, so it really doesnt matter what lens is in use nor the aperture or shutter speed. Have a 1000fn but have never used the soft focus facility as the camera just sits in a drawer unused. Sad, but there you go.