Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which Nikon Pancake to Get?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Which Nikon Pancake to Get? Reply with quote

Starting to be a bit torn between the collector legendary 45mm 2.8 AI-P in black, or cheaper Voigtlander 28mm 2.8. Both would fill what I want- an ultra-light street package.

28mm is a better working angle for me in or outdoors, but 45 (~67.5mm on crop) is much more suited for street photography for the "zoom."

Nikkor is a collector item, plus the black version even more so, at the extra cost.

Nikkor is a tessar design, which I really want to play with and own for the sake of variety.

Voig is muuuuch cheaper.

Any input guys?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon E 1.8/50, very cheap, pancake sized, IQ is as good as the Nikkor 1.8/50s.

If you want a Tessar for Nikon cheap, get a Voigtlander Color-Skopar-X 2.8/50 or Schneider Retina-Xenar 2.8/50, both come in DKL mount, adapters to Nikon are on ebay.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Whole point is to have metering and ultra-compact design. Else, I'm an avid collector and that is a pretty big factor since I love my cheap-o Sigma Super-Wide II as a workhorse kinda lens.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick a dandelion chip on it and you have metering with all Nikon bodies. It will meter without a chip on the higher-end bodies anyways.

It's only 150g and far outperforms the Nikkor 2.8/45, it's only slightly bigger too.

Main thing is the price and availability the E 1.8/50 is dirt cheap and very easy to find.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can put dandelion chips on your adapters too if you want to use a DKL adapter. I have one on my M42 adapter, I can get metering with a Helios attached.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Main thing is the price and availability the E 1.8/50 is dirt cheap and very easy to find.

+1
My suggestion is to buy the later model (chrome ring) because it has a slightly better construction quality. You can also try to find an AI-s nikkor 1.8/50 "pancake" for a reasonably price.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
You can put dandelion chips on your adapters too if you want to use a DKL adapter. I have one on my M42 adapter, I can get metering with a Helios attached.

Ooh, now that is interesting. Is it a glassed adapter or you just put up with no infinity?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm. Collector sense is still tingling, but black 45 went too high in price at this point. Voigtlander should still be do-able though.

I do appreciate the alternative suggestions, definitely, but question at hand is having that collector's item if reasonably possible or just getting another full-metal pancake.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Nikkor 20mm f4 Ai , It's the smallest nikon 20mm but the later 20mm f3.5 Ais is a better lens and not much bigger.

I also own the 50mm serie E, it's sharp from f2.8 but I don't think is as good as non-pancake lens.

Also the 28mm serie E is a really small lens.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than being small, the E 50 doesn't do anything for me, I prefer other lenses that have a better, more pleasant rendering. YMMV.