Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon 5D Mirror Catching Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Canon 5D Mirror Catching Issues Reply with quote

Hello all, this is my first post on the forum, but I have been lurking for some time gathering your collective knowledge (so thanks for that!).

I recently purchased a used Canon 5D Classic body, along with Roxen brand Chinese eBay EMF AF confirm adapter for both Nikon F mount and M42 screw mount to Canon EOS.

I also purchased two Nikkor non-AI lenses (50mm 1.4 S.C. and Nikkor-Q 135mm 2.8 ) and a Super Takumar 35mm 3.5.

Now my issue is that when adapted to the lenses and mounted to the 5D, the mirror seems to catch on all three of the lenses without fail. I assume it's the mirror catching but as I'm not very experienced, I can't be sure. What I'm experiencing is that after the first shot taken once the lens is mounted (on all three lenses) the viewfinder goes 90% dark with a small unfocused cross shaped light still visible in the viewfinder.

When no lenses are mounted, the body fires each shot fine one after another and the viewfinder remains light. When each lens is slightly twisted to slightly unmount the lens, the mirror doesn't seem to catch. I knew that there were issues with the Super Takumar when focused to infinity, but both Nikkors have no reported issues, and this happens at all focus range and f stops.

Ideas? Help? I'm not sure if this is an issue with my body, as I don't have any EF Canon lenses to test with it, or the lenses themselves (although it seems unlikely as none of them should be catching at every focussing distance). Could it be an issue with the adapters? I haven't heard of anyone else having this issue.

Please help me rescue my start into the MF lens world! Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we used to have a large topic about this but it's gone ..

here is a common standard source
http://www.panoramaplanet.de/comp/

the 135 lens is mystery
do the lens backs protrude from the adapter?
can you show photos of lenses with the adapter, at infinity, side view?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest that you come into a Canon store, mount a Canon lens into your body and try there.
If the mirror is not hang with the Canon lenses, then it's the adapter that cause the mirror hang.

If it still hang with canon lenses, then your body need to service.

Another case, if your mirror got loose, Canon still re-glue it for free - professionally, and calibrated the mirror distance to view finder as well..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
we used to have a large topic about this but it's gone ..

here is a common standard source
http://www.panoramaplanet.de/comp/

the 135 lens is mystery
do the lens backs protrude from the adapter?
can you show photos of lenses with the adapter, at infinity, side view?

Thanks for the resource, that will be very valuable for me!

The 135mm doesn't seem to protrude at all. I [irritatingly] cannot try the 50mm because the Nikkor-Eos adapter is now stuck on the 135mm.

But Here is the 50mm next to the 135mm w/ adapter, you can get an idea of what would extend with the adapter.

As expected, at infinity, the Super Takumar 35mm does extend a bit past the adapter, but this is happening on all lenses at all focusing distances.

hoanpham wrote:

I suggest that you come into a Canon store, mount a Canon lens into your body and try there.
If the mirror is not hang with the Canon lenses, then it's the adapter that cause the mirror hang.

If it still hang with canon lenses, then your body need to service.

Another case, if your mirror got loose, Canon still re-glue it for free - professionally, and calibrated the mirror distance to view finder as well..

I feared that's what I would end up having to do. I just wondered if anyone has come across this one before. Thanks for the advice though! I did notice that the mirror has not yet been reinforced by Canon, so I may just end up sending it in to do that as well.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a body - mirror problem.

You could remove the lens from the adapter, put just the adapter in place and set camera to M and 2 seconds. Look what happens with the mirror.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine lost the mirror recently, it just fell out during a shoot, i do not think this is your problem though. (mine is fixed again, free of charge)

I too had the problem which you describe with my 5D and chinese adapters. You take a shot and hear one click, mirror is up, camera display says "ERR", viewfinder dark. The camera needed to be switched off to "reset" itself again.

So, this was NOT a mechanical problem or protruding lenses, after cleaning the contacts on the chip of the adapter the problem was gone!

(Be warned though with Pentax PK mounted lenses! The aperture pin stays in the mirrorbox and will hit your mirror, if you decide to use PK lenses on your 5D you have to modify the lens itself! )