Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Big, black, hard and heavy! my 1974 Helios 40-2! (with test)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Big, black, hard and heavy! my 1974 Helios 40-2! (with test) Reply with quote

I am so glad!

Earlier today I went to the post office to receive a parcel containing this beautiful 1974 model Helios 40-2 which I ordered from the Ukraine.

Here is the handsome piece of glass and metal...

It even has its own treasure chest! Smile

And here are some test shots, made earlier today at a local park at my neighborhood; all shots are at fully open aperture, which is f/1.5, no PP, shot at 18MP resolution on a Canon 550D with a focusing assistance split screen...

A pooch named diva

In B&W

The dramatic rear cap !

Swirly bokeh !

This boy will one day be a male model for sure! Smile

And now, for my favorite animals, cats...

I am very very happy with this lens, as the image quality is great, starting from wide open, becoming very sharp at f/2 and razor sharp at f/2.8, the focusing is very smooth, making the lens very easy to use, even at the razor thin depth of field you get at f/1.5, and is very robust and well built.[/img]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took off the tripod ring, much more easy to use the lens handheld.
Tomas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how did you take it off?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I took off the tripod ring, much more easy to use the lens handheld.

I can't say I've ever been bothered by the tripod ring. How did it get in the way for you?

The fixed tripod mount on the original 40, however, is sometimes annoying for me. It will hit the prism overhang if I try to screw the Helios on my Sony. I have to take off the m42 adapter, screw it onto the lens, then put it back on the camera.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats for your new toy! CA was pretty terrible on swirly pic and lens looks soft or you have to get more practice, if not improved after a few times, bring it to service and check proper built.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Attila, I sure need more practice hitting focus dead on at f/1.5... not that easy for me yet Smile

Used the lens for a whole afternoon of model shooting.

Here are some of the results...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second last pic was great! But you should really stop it down a little bit, the CA is a bit distracting.
Keep it up! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gratz on your new acquisition. Nice pictures. All the same, both contrast and saturation appear quiet low coming strange out of the camera. Some boosting in post is probably in order. Love the swirling Bokeh.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys i didn t saw the replays...i have the Helios 40silver version and a cyclop, but it should be the same. On the back there is this large "ring" near the mount, look carefully there are 3 tiny holes with screws on the rim. You ll need a small screwdriver, but after you unscrew them you can take off that "ring" itself, just by turning it counter clockwise. This will let you remove the tripod ring. If it s not clear i can post a few pics of what to do.

Some great pictures of models, congrats!

Tomas