Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RB67 and 10 year old expired film
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: RB67 and 10 year old expired film Reply with quote

Well I have some Fuji 100 and NPS 160 in my cupboard that expired in 2000, scanner is Epson V750:-

RB67 65mm lens, old fuji 100 asa, scanned at 4800 V750 with scanner's default sharpening, one click on Photoshop sharpening and added a bit of saturation:-

RB67 180mm lens, old NPS 160, scanned at 6400:-

crop of above and no tripod was used and I really don't know if the results are excellent for this magnification with this lens compared to say a Zeiss lens, but the grain is very good.

and why I'm posting

Film can take a lot of abuse, this film is not only at least 12 years old and stored at room temp but this winter shot I've just had developed... also on a computer screen a S3 Pentax/MTL3 with either a Helios or Pentacon nifty fifty can put up a good show against an Etrsi 75mm....shots taken within minutes of one another.

ETRSi 75mm fuji 100

Helios or Pentacon nifty fifty on IIRC fuji superia 200

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just cannot beat medium format for brilliant piccies, well done

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More comparisons:-

Agfa Vista 200asa expired 4 years ago OM10 Vivitar 28mm f2.8 non CF

Recent superia 200asa Canon T70 and Canon 28mm f2.8 erm Oh wait on comparing the two shots it might be a sigma 24mm superwide II:-

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like expired ones too, excellent pictures , thank you for sharing them!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 135 photos are scanned also on V750? Oddly , they seem sharper to me ,must be the scanner's fault .The Sigma 24mm II is very well regarded ,and it shows.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:
The 135 photos are scanned also on V750? Oddly , they seem sharper to me ,must be the scanner's fault .The Sigma 24mm II is very well regarded ,and it shows.

The medium format negs were definitely scanned on a V750, my 35mm shots are usually supermarket dev and scan to CD (for £3), each jpg is about 4mp and the scan is so good my V750 only beats the supermarket machine for less pixel breakup when using a higher scan, of course when viewed on a computer screen.
Indeed the Sigma is a very good lens, and the secret is out because they are not dirt cheap any more to buy.

The Vivitar 28mm f2.8 close focus is a very good lens as well (why bother with a V750 when a supermarket can scan like this for a computer screen)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow !
Very good indeed !

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
yinyangbt wrote:

The medium format negs were definitely scanned on a V750, my 35mm shots are usually supermarket dev and scan to CD (for £3), each jpg is about 4mp and the scan is so good my V750 only beats the supermarket machine for less pixel breakup when using a higher scan, of course when viewed on a computer screen.
Indeed the Sigma is a very good lens, and the secret is out because they are not dirt cheap any more to buy.

The Vivitar 28mm f2.8 close focus is a very good lens as well (why bother with a V750 when a supermarket can scan like this for a computer screen)

Very impressive scan, and nice work!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometimes those scans are stinkin' good, like in this case ...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: RB67 and 10 year old expired film Reply with quote

Reference Excalibur pictures.

I recently made few pictures in RB67 with expired film Centuria Konica 100 since 2006 lying in my refrigerator. The film was processed in a lab and scanned myself on Epson 3200 Photo. The pictures were corrected and down size to put here. My results are not as sharp as or near to Excalibur Photos. I seek advise and guidance from my colleague where fault lies to improve. It is my first upload.

Last edited by gill on Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:38 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Gill I've just seen your post.....it's difficult NOT to get sharp pictures with a RB67 as it's quite a large neg, so the usual problems would be:- camera shake, crappy film, exposure completely way out, or scanning.

With my RB67 I quite often had a diffuser in front of the lens and this would reduce the sharpness as like this:-

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: RB 67 & 10 years old expired film Reply with quote

Quote:
NOT to get sharp pictures with a RB67 as it's quite a large neg, so the usual problems would be:- camera shake, crappy film, exposure completely way out, or scanning.[/list]

Thanks. Very sharp and beautiful picture. It appears my picture have camera shake or scanner issue.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: RB 67 & 10 years old expired film Reply with quote

gill wrote:
Quote:
NOT to get sharp pictures with a RB67 as it's quite a large neg, so the usual problems would be:- camera shake, crappy film, exposure completely way out, or scanning.[/list]

Thanks. Very sharp and beautiful picture. It appears my picture have camera shake or scanner issue.

Thanks I'm glad you liked it, but IMO it looked better when I printed it on B/W paper with chemicals about 25-30 years ago...and that's the problem with film users today (using neg film) as thousands are relying on low scans from shops, labs and home scanners which are equivalent to a 3-6mp digital camera...so we don't really know what's actually on the film (well I suppose some use a microscope Rolling Eyes ) as estimates are that film can contain up to about 21mp of detail, so the problem is getting it all off cheaply as the alternative is an expensive drum scan.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Hello Gill I've just seen your post.....it's difficult NOT to get sharp pictures with a RB67 as it's quite a large neg, so the usual problems would be:- camera shake, crappy film, exposure completely way out, or scanning.

With my RB67 I quite often had a diffuser in front of the lens and this would reduce the sharpness as like this:-

Remarcable !

Gill , have you scanned some other film with that scanner , just for comparing ? And the film seems full of white spots , probably from the lab ? Maybe change the lab also. Try with a35mm film , just to see

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="yinyangbt"]
Excalibur wrote:

Remarcable !

Gill , have you scanned some other film with that scanner , just for comparing ? And the film seems full of white spots , probably from the lab ? Maybe change the lab also. Try with a35mm film , just to see

Thanks (and to all others who replied before)....... the film was FP4 dev in Paterson's Unitol (which you can't buy now). I was starting off using our curtains for background and later made my own background with different rolls of coloured paper.....h'mm we are still using the same velvet curtains today and they must be about 40 years old Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: RB 67 & 10 year old expired film Reply with quote

Vinyangbt wrote Gill , have you scanned some other film with that scanner , just for comparing ? And the film seems full of white spots , probably from the lab ? Maybe change the lab also. Try with a35mm film , just to see.

I put here another picture from the same negative scanned yesterday and corrected in Photo shop which appears little bit better but less as to other pictures put here. I have lot of 35 negative scanned of hunting wild boar but do not want to deviate from the subject.

As to Excalibur old curtain, i am fond of old items scattered around me because old is gold. This thread also belong to old film/camera.