Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron 200/3.5 Adapt-a-matic - sharp, superbly made !
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject: Tamron 200/3.5 Adapt-a-matic - sharp, superbly made ! Reply with quote

Tamron was always one of the class acts in the third-party lens business. Their high point in workmanship, if not necessarily in optical achievement, may have been the late 1960's-early 1970's Adapt-a-matics. These wonderful pieces of art are available for next to nothing now.

This is one of the less common Adapt-a-matics, as I have been looking for one of these for three months and this is the first I've found. I think Tamron sold a lot of zooms in this line, but perhaps fewer primes.

It is in perfect, beautiful shape. Its a heavy, solid, smoothly working piece of machinery. Its about the same size as the similarly solid Tokina (Vivitar, Soligor, etc.) 200/3.5, but the fit and finish are very obviously superior.

This is my first Adapt-a-matic (I lately have another, coming up), and that is a curious device. The interchangeable lens mount is just popped into its socket, and then held in place by a separate screw-in retainer ring. Changing mounts is much slower and clumsier than with the Adaptalls and the T4's, or even the YS and T2's.

One tip I saw about Adapt-a-matics - the retaining thread is the 58mm filter thread (male on the lens), so if you lack the right mount, you can easily make one from a reverse adapter and an old 58mm filter. I haven't tried this.

Performance - Sharp ! And its sharp wide-open. I have no complaints at all. This easily ranks with my Yashinon-DX 200/4 as my best 200mm.

Its a cold and foggy day. I think in the US only some places in Alaska were colder than SF today.

The bird -

crop -

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! this one is really sharp!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent results.

I like the front of the building. Can you say something about it ? Would you call it "Art Deco" ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Really nice one!I have latest revision, also a very nice sharp lens.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does these also use an adapter like adaptall ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Adapt-a-matic system was the predecessor to Adaptall.

It is just not as well designed.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sichko,

Thats the top of the building actually, and it is Art Deco. Theres a lot of Art Deco in San Francisco's office buildings of the 1910's-1920's.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Luis
You know if there is any difference with the Tamron Series F, 200/3.5?
Thank you very much

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Tamron 200/3.5 Adapt-a-matic - sharp, superbly made ! Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
One tip I saw about Adapt-a-matics - the retaining thread is the 58mm filter thread (male on the lens), so if you lack the right mount, you can easily make one from a reverse adapter and an old 58mm filter. I haven't tried this.

Can you please elaborate more on this... I am just curious before I put on sale my 300mm F5.6 Adapt-A-Matic Model 670Au lens for sale or do you know who has and like to exchange Nikon F adapt-a-matic adapter for mine SR-T (Minolta MD is the same) then I might keep it for a moment until I get 300mm I wanted.

Edit: On my list of next purchases is this one Nikon 300mm f/4 AF-S + TC-14E II

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it is related to the series F. I never had a series F lens.

The Adaptamatic mount is, on the lens side, 58mm male thread. This is what the adaptamatic mounting retaining ring screws on to.
The actual mount is held on to the lens with this retaining ring, at least on some mounts like the M42. On others the ring is part of the mount adapter. Works the same way though.

This is the same thread as 58mm filters. So if you want to make your own mount thats a start anyway. I can think of several ways to do it. I would, because I like tinkering for the sake of tinkering.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

francotirador wrote:
Hi Luis
You know if there is any difference with the Tamron Series F, 200/3.5?
Thank you very much

Tamron-F can be an interesting kettle of fish. Some early F series lenses, certainly the 28/2.8 and 135/2.8 were badge engineered and the same as Hanimex-Hanimar, Miida and others of the period. Look for serial numbers beginning with 74. These lenses were probably made by Sun and can be found in many names, even Soligor if you look long and hard enough. If the serial does not begin with 74 it is a real Tamron.