Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

DIY adapted Century 230mm f/3.8 cine lens on K5-IIs
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: DIY adapted Century 230mm f/3.8 cine lens on K5-IIs Reply with quote

It is a c-mount cine lens with a long narrow tube-like rear end. I cut away 2.5cm the rear most part of the lens and inserted it into a M42 focusing helicoid for use on my K5-IIs. It works very well! What's you comment on the performance of this cine lens on APSC sensor?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! Crispy with good colors and smooth bokeh. I own two Century telephotos, Tele Athenar II versions, which were intended for 35mm photography. They are both very sharp lenses, so I would expect nothing less from yours.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Very nice! Crispy with good colors and smooth bokeh. I own two Century telephotos, Tele Athenar II versions, which were intended for 35mm photography. They are both very sharp lenses, so I would expect nothing less from yours.

Yes, they are good! I have a Century 6" f/2.8 in c-mount. Will convert it into M42 later and then share photos with forum members. Smile

Below shown how the lens was converted.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by ferrick on Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a very fine lens indeed, perhaps the sharpest 200mm lens I have.

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=38992&highlight=%2Bcentury&sid=0fb5030108e2ccec4a4639d5ed39c2d9

Mine is a variant of yours, designed an an slr lens because it has a preset aperture. The family resemblance is clear though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=38992&highlight=%2Bcentury&sid=0fb5030108e2ccec4a4639d5ed39c2d9

Mine is a variant of yours, designed an an slr lens because it has a preset aperture. The family resemblance is clear though.

You got some very nice shots in your post. I particularly like the seagull photo. However, it appears that the front element of your version is scratched or with coating issue . Why that didn't affect the image quality at all ? Question

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferrick wrote:
luisalegria wrote:

You got some very nice shots in your post. I particularly like the seagull photo. However, it appears that the front element of your version is scratched or with coating issue . Why that didn't affect the image quality at all ? Question

Telephoto lenses are usually not affected too much by scratches or coating issues on the front element. I've mentioned this here before, and I'll mention it again briefly -- I used to own a Nikon 180mm f/2.8 ED that had a big chunk taken out of the front element. It was a LOT more than a scratch. It was a gouge. I bought it from a working pro, who claimed to have taken many great photos with it, and the only reason why he was selling it was because he was moving to autofocus. Anyway, because of the front element damage, I bought the lens for very cheap. I loved that lens -- it was one of the sharpest lenses I owned. And I could never see any degradation of images that I'd taken with that lens because of the missing chunk of glass.

A6 Intruder Cockpit -- Note Garfield -- Nikon F2A, AIs 180mm f/2.8 ED, Fujichrome 100.

WWII P47 Ace Paul Conger, same outfit as above, taken circa 1992.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great colors and bokeh! I loved #5 and #6 images the most!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
ferrick wrote:
luisalegria wrote:

Telephoto lenses are usually not affected too much by scratches or coating issues on the front element. I've mentioned this here before, and I'll mention it again briefly -- I used to own a Nikon 180mm f/2.8 ED that had a big chunk taken out of the front element. It was a LOT more than a scratch. It was a gouge. I bought it from a working pro, who claimed to have taken many great photos with it, and the only reason why he was selling it was because he was moving to autofocus. Anyway, because of the front element damage, I bought the lens for very cheap. I loved that lens -- it was one of the sharpest lenses I owned. And I could never see any degradation of images that I'd taken with that lens because of the missing chunk of glass.

A6 Intruder Cockpit -- Note Garfield -- Nikon F2A, AIs 180mm f/2.8 ED, Fujichrome 100.

WWII P47 Ace Paul Conger, same outfit as above, taken circa 1992.

Unbelievably sharp !

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Great colors and bokeh! I loved #5 and #6 images the most!

Thank you! Very Happy Very Happy