Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica T3 shutter pre-firing issue
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Konica T3 shutter pre-firing issue Reply with quote

Hey folks, I bought a well used T3 from the auction site and the shutter is firing just before the film wind lever reaches the end of its stroke. It only does this on some lower speeds and behaves better when there is no lens attached. The camera cost peanuts, is it worthwhile keeping for spares or repair do you think? I read that this is not a problem unique to my camera but can anyone shed any light on this?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Konica T3 shutter pre-firing issue Reply with quote

cyrano wrote:
Hey folks, I bought a well used T3 from the auction site and the shutter is firing just before the film wind lever reaches the end of its stroke. It only does this on some lower speeds and behaves better when there is no lens attached. The camera cost peanuts, is it worthwhile keeping for spares or repair do you think? I read that this is not a problem unique to my camera but can anyone shed any light on this?

To the best of my knowledge this condition, known as "shutter pre-fire", is due to loss of lubrication on the aperture control ring within the lens mount on the Autoreflex T3 (and T3N). As this camera has a mechanical shutter priority system, the shutter release function is meshed with the auto-exposure system and, somehow, with the film advance mechanism. Only when the desired settings on the latter are in place does the shutter release stage kick in. This takes place when the auto-exposure system offers enough mechanical resistance. As the lubrication on the ring deteriorates over the years, this resistance is achieved much earlier in the cycle, hence the early shutter firing. The problem exists to varying degrees and it may only cause problems with lenses whose aperture actuating cams offer greater resistance than that of other lenses. It also tends to occur in AE mode, less often in manual mode.
The usual solution is a CLA, but it must be done by someone who has some experience with mechanical shutter priority AE systems (Konica, Miranda, Petri, etc). There is a fellow in Middlesex named Alan Marlow who, I believe, used to work for Konica and still services Konica cameras. He's been recommended to me by 2 persons in the UK. Look here:
http://www.alan49.x10.mx/

Last edited by konicamera on Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:15 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've got him bookmarked and I will send him a note asking what, if anything he can do about it.
I am grateful for the explanation, thanks for shedding some light on the subject for me.
regards,
Steve

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not good news, a reply from Alan Marlow quote:

"The problem you mention is caused by a sticking mirror damper which has to be completely removed, cleaned up and replaced with a new one. Needless to say the part is no longer available."

Oh well, it had to happen eventually.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyrano wrote:
Not good news, a reply from Alan Marlow quote:

"The problem you mention is caused by a sticking mirror damper which has to be completely removed, cleaned up and replaced with a new one. Needless to say the part is no longer available."

Oh well, it had to happen eventually.

Maybe there is a way of oiling it yourself (if it's not the problem like gooey light seals), like you have to do to solve the Canon squeak on A models....that also is a mirror damping problem.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit when he stated removing and cleaning the offending part only to replace it, well, why bother cleaning if it needs replacing????
I'm also puzzled how a mirror damping system affects the shutter firing but that's my ignorance on the mechanical details of these things I suppose. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyrano wrote:
I must admit when he stated removing and cleaning the offending part only to replace it, well, why bother cleaning if it needs replacing????
I'm also puzzled how a mirror damping system affects the shutter firing but that's my ignorance on the mechanical details of these things I suppose. Rolling Eyes

It looks like sticky rubber (not oil) problem but confusing as one guy says "'it's not in the T3".....anyway from this quick search:-

http://photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00LjKw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that problem with konica T3, T3n, and two TC, praktica MTL 5 and MTL 3.

All that shutter were erratics

Dissambled the T3 and the MTL 5.

What i saw was that in the shutter, when i did work it outside the cam, the part of the mechanism that make the shutter oppened was worn, so sometimes work in order and sometimes not.

Anyways bad news

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily I still have two that (so far!) are working fine. Shame because this was a nicely worn ,brassy model so it's hardly surprising it's having problems. There'll be others come along I'm sure.
Has anyone used The Camera Clinic in London? They've asked me to send it in for an inspection, £20 deposit, taken off the final bill if they go ahead with a repair or non-refundable if they cannot repair it?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyrano wrote:
Luckily I still have two that (so far!) are working fine. Shame because this was a nicely worn ,brassy model so it's hardly surprising it's having problems. There'll be others come along I'm sure.
Has anyone used The Camera Clinic in London? They've asked me to send it in for an inspection, £20 deposit, taken off the final bill if they go ahead with a repair or non-refundable if they cannot repair it?

This person is often recommended, but I haven't used him.

http://www.mwcamerarepairs.co.uk/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's fixing the stiff focus on my lens, I didn't think to ask if he does camera repairs, I will now! Cool