Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CZJ 4/135 Triotar (Exakta) on Canon T3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: CZJ 4/135 Triotar (Exakta) on Canon T3 Reply with quote

Bought this lens for a decent price ($20+$5 for shipping) and although dirty and worn, the glass was in good condition and it seems like a
good lens.
Here are some photos with extra contrast and some sharpening. Not the greatest shots because of the strong wind. Do you agree it is a good lens? Thank you for your opinion.

Last edited by uddhava on Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:31 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging by these pictures, I think it is very good lens.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some strikingly good images there.
IQ per dollar - excellent!
OH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks excellent to me. I just bought one of these for a similar price, sadly it's full of fungus. I'll have to send it to be cleaned. Sad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

I'm glad to hear that I have a good one.
I like using it even though it is a little long and so harder to hold still. I think that the weight is at the end of the lens since all of the glass is there.

Sorry to hear about your lens Ian, I hope it doesn't cost too much to clean it. Mine had some big pieces of lint inside, but fortunately no fungus.

Now I need a lot more practice and knowledge about photography and not just lens collecting. Besides, I ran out of money for it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fungus isn't too bad and will clean, reason I will send it to clean is I can't see any way of getting it open, no set screws, I have no idea how to do it. Sad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
The fungus isn't too bad and will clean, reason I will send it to clean is I can't see any way of getting it open, no set screws, I have no idea how to do it. Sad

I found these links, maybe they can help you.

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=12970&sid=c0ab97914be5635d882a4f2f2c6acf7f

http://ferling.net/CZJ135Triotar.htm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some photos of the lens, showing it's rough condition including what looks like a custom paint job.
Sorry cel phone photos. Embarassed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the info. Looks like a tricky job to get the damn thing open. Sad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several versions for the Jena Triotar, IMHO, this version has the best mechanical built and easiest to work on. To open up the lens, there is a lock nut ring at the back (lens mount side), once losened and removed, the lens would be separated into two parts, the lens head and the focusing ring. There is also a spacer ring inside to adjust the focus. To clean the glass, just work on the lens head. Work on the focusing unit for stiff turning problem.

One interesting point for aluminum Jena lenses of different focal lengths is, the design is quite similar. Most of them, if not all, are with lens head plus a focusing unit. Lenses of different mounts, like M42 and Exakta, they share the same lens head, just with different focusing unit and are interchangeable. I tried these two types (M42 and Exakta), never tried the Praktina mount, so not 100% sure about it.

The Triotar also has a very interesting bokeh if it is used at its minimum focus and fully open, the image is comparable to the Trioplan. However because of the longer focal length, it is less easy to play with...