Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron SP 300mm f/5.6 54B quick test
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Tamron SP 300mm f/5.6 54B quick test Reply with quote

Well, not a real test, I got the lens yesterday and was eager to check how it handles and is it really that sharp. And I liked it - it's solidly built yet light (like a dream compared to 300/4 AF-S Nikkor I tried), it balances well with G5 and focus is smooth and intuitive, with not too long or not too short throw. Couple of 100% crops - no qualms about sharpness, I guess.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice pictures, it's obviously a good lens, and you're getting the best out of it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great samples from a great lens. I had several times this lens I did like a lot!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good images!

It's a great lens, but it will give CA until F11 if used in contrasty situations. It's also very light for what it is.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens had been in my wish list,
but are these samples good?

I think they are not very sharp, a hint of CA, perhaps due to bad light condition?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, I'm glad you like it, and thanks Attila for recommending me the lens couple of months back.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
This lens had been in my wish list,
but are these samples good?

I think they are not very sharp, a hint of CA, perhaps due to bad light condition?

FWIW these are all handheld, cropped from 16 to 1.23 mp, and all except the last one shot at fairly slow shutter speeds (1/125 or 1/200, baby lizard at 1/500), so there is likely some motion blur there as well. None except the last one were closer than 4-5m. Not sure about the aperture - some are wide open, some stopped down. Given that those scales are as tiny as a grain of sugar (or smaller), and the lines between them thinner than a human hair I guess that lens resolved it pretty well. As for CA, it's pretty much guaranteed, either green and purple in background and foreground, or typical PF in high contrast areas in strong light.

Two more, both at f/8 I think

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that this lens works best for flower photography. It has good magnification, a nice working distance, and nice bokeh too:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurentiucristofor/5799164038

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurentiucristofor/5799163852

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurentiucristofor/5798614831

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, your pics and your blog were also one of the standard references about this lens for me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kNikS wrote:
Very nice, your pics and your blog were also one of the standard references about this lens for me.

Thank you for your kind words.

I seem to have got the best results from this lens on sunny days, and the worst on outcast ones - let us know how it works for you.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice pictures!

Not meant to hijack the thread, but does anyone know how this lens compares against the Tamron SP 60-300mm at the 300mm end? Most of the reviews says the prime is sharper on the corner. I am curious how much difference there is on a 1.6x crop sensor.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjs wrote:

Not meant to hijack the thread, but does anyone know how this lens compares against the Tamron SP 60-300mm at the 300mm end?

They're pretty close - the prime has some worse CA and did not feel sharper to me, but it is much nicer to handle than the zoom.