Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Wide angle lens for M43
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Wide angle lens for M43 Reply with quote

I recently bought an Oly 28mm 3.5 for my Panny G6, so now I own this and a Olympus 45mm 1.8, but I want to have another lens that's wider. I've been looking for something within my price range (20-80£) but I've found nothing worthy so far. Could someone recommend a wide lens (for the M43 crop), perhaps something in between a 12-20mm.
Perhaps a cine or c-mount lens?

Also, is there a OM-mount lens that fits this description? Because I already have an adapter for that system.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for a Tokina RMC 17mm f/3.5. If you look carefully, you'll probably find one within your price range.
It's an excellent lens.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old manual lenses wider than 24mm are not so easy to find and the cheaper ones are not so great.

Sad to say it really, but you'd be better off grabbing a M42 wide angle zoom cheap secondhand like the Panny 14mm.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In truth, the best wide to get true wide angle on m4/3 is to buy a proper m4/3 lens. The problem is that 35mm lenses with focal lengths below 20mm are always going to be expensive unless they are really poor optically or in bad condition. The widest 35mm lenses I have are 24mm focal length. This is because I do not see the point spending large sums on wider lenses when I have really good m4/3 lenses like the Olymous 9-18mm zoom and the Panasonic 14 and 20mm pancakes.

The cheapest m4/3 prime lens will be the Panasonic 14mm 2.5 pancake, which can sell for only about £110 in the UK on ebay. At that price it really is a bargain, and it is also optically very good. The Tokina 17mm is probably the other top choice (i do not actaully own it), but this regularly sells for £80 in the UK, so is not that much cheaper than the Panasonic. I read different opinions of the Tamron 17mm. Some think it's good, others do not.

C-mount lenses below 25mm start to vignette badly even on m4/3.. So they are not giving you the wide perspective you want. I have a Fujinon-TV 25mm and it is only so-so on m4/3. You would be better off buying a Nikon 24mm f2.8 of Sigma Mini-wide II 24mm f2.8 if funds are really tight.

Mark

EDIT: Ian beat me to the it!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Look for a Tokina RMC 17mm f/3.5. If you look carefully, you'll probably find one within your price range.

I honestly doubt that. The prices are much higher mostly, I'm afraid.

For wide angle µ4/3 lenses you should stick to the original Panasonic and/or Olympus ones. Even a 14mm manual monster will only give you "only" the FoV of a 28mm. Sad

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

I just bought one in EX+ condition for 99£ off eBay. Very happy with it. Once I hook it up to my Speedbooster, it'll play as a 12mm f/2.5 which is nice and wide on µ4/3.

I would also recommend the Tokina 17mm RMC for you Smile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeec wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

I just bought one in EX+ condition for 99£ off eBay. Very happy with it. Once I hook it up to my Speedbooster, it'll play as a 12mm f/2.5 which is nice and wide on µ4/3.

I would also recommend the Tokina 17mm RMC for you Smile

So slightly wider than the kit lens with an effective field of view of 24mm (12mm x 2 crop factor). But larger.

I love manual lenses, but I wouldn't consider putting something so large on my m43 pens Surprised

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me personally, balance is very important, so i steer clear of big slr lenses. i agree with a prior post about the m4/3 panny 28/2.5--it is cheap, tiny and produces results as good or better than any mf lens you can comfortsbly stick on your camera.

however, i do understand the allure of mf lenses, so here are a couple of relatively inexpensive, very good IQ and better balanced lenses ive used: cv 21/4, cv25/4, minolta rokkor md 20/2.8.