Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CZ 16mm 2.8 HFT - lens bubbles?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: CZ 16mm 2.8 HFT - lens bubbles? Reply with quote

Hey All, long time lurker but first time posting.

I have a zeiss 16mm 2.8 HFT lens made in West Germany. It seems to have some element separation on the front that I am concerned about and wanted to know if anyone here could shed some light on it. I am considering selling it...
Thanks!

Last edited by allannn on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: CZ 16mm 2.8 HFT - lens bubbles? Reply with quote

allannn wrote:
Hey All, long time lurker but first time posting. I have a zeiss 16mm 2.8 HFT lens made in West Germany. It seems to have some element separation on the front that I am concerned about and wanted to know if anyone here could shed some light on it. I am considering selling it...

I have a Contax Zeiss 18/4 that has a similar problem of lens separation at the edge of the front. It happened after some days in the heat. Hasn't affected images though so I haven't bothered about it. No bubbles in the middle though for mine.

My advice is just go around shooting with it, especially stopped down, that's the only way to tell. Resale value of these lenses plummets as soon as you have these kind of defects ...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like what used to be called "balsam separation" back in the days when everybody used canada balsam to glue the lens elements together. Then, it was possible to cure the problem by re-heating the affected element to allow the balsam to melt and so "heal itself". Today's lens cements may be different, but if you want to sell the lens and maximise the price it might be worthwhile trying root out a repairer who does such work and asking his/her advice. I know there are at least two sources in the UK for tackling this and there must be similarly competent firms in the USA.

I recall being told back in the 1960s by the optical repairers we used that this occured particularly in lens with steeply curved surfaces.