Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD 80 mm 1.8 with heavy front lens scratches
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Canon FD 80 mm 1.8 with heavy front lens scratches Reply with quote

I just used the search function but found nothing about this lens.

I bought a Canon FD 80/1.8 SSC at the bay but it has a heavily scratched front lens. (Many scratches in the center of the lens but seems only in the coating, not much in the glass.) At a second thought I'm not shure if not to step back from the buy, as the lens was not cheap. (Well... to be honest I'm not shure what the usual prices are. I'm thankfull for information.)
Unfortunately I see no pictures taken with this lens. Could anyone provide some?
And maybe somebody can share his experience or even guess of how the scratches would affect this particular lens.
Thx.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good lens - very compact and sharp even wide open - very nice colour rendition

Well, the scratches you mentioned might have some impact on the picture quality but that really depends what they look lik

these are taken with EOS 5DMkII - all pictures in the galley below are taken at f1.8

CLICK ON THIS PICTURE.

tf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots, love the quality of the bokeh on the bananas. Canon's got some great glass... (even in their modern offerings, pity everything they make is AF and plastic these days or they'd have me as a customer)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an 85mm SSC f1.8, not 80mm, which is probably why you didn't get any search hits.....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you mean the FD SSC 85/1.8.
They were going for between $150-$300, I paid $175 for mine, but they seem to be going between $300-$400 now.
I sent you a pm.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until scratches countable okay, no harm, if more contrast will be less or even image will soft. I sold few weeks before hard to sell above 200 USD many available. I sold around this amount.

http://forum.mflenses.com/canon-fd-85mm-f1-8-s-c-c-portraits-t58889,highlight,%2Bcanon+%2B85mm.html

I was impressed pretty good lens , good as than most others in this focal length.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does it compare to the J9?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
How does it compare to the J9?

Sharper wide open , much more CA and , stronger , better contrast I talk about SLR J9, not valid for range finder lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's indeed 85 mm, no wonder I got no results on my search. I was even surprised how this can be.

Here is the auction, yesterday the pictures were not avaible, thought the seller removed them. But they are back:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Canon-AE-1-35mm-Spiegelreflexkamera-mit-28mm-50mm-SSC-85mm-SSC-Objektiv-/130962965044?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=V1Rlr6YJhHJwCHnD3XMLG%252Bzih4k%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

trifox, thank you for the pictures and thank you all for your opinion about the lens.
I like the OOF rendering of the lens, normally I don't like the bukeh of high luminosity lenses.

Attila, what do you mean by CA? Will I see color fringes with this lens? (That would be a no-go for me.)

I would like to know other two aspects:
- weight.
I want to expand on my OM system for portraiture. I have more and more difficulty using heavy gear for this type of photography.
- focusing.
Is it easy? I have the Jupiter too, but my exemplaire needs a wrench. (Yes, it needs CLA.)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, wide open in out focus are you can see color fringing, usually all lens do more less, this lens has stronger than J9. Around 200 usd cost this lens is pretty good deal, my samyang is better deal.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chromatic aberration (CA) is easy to fix in Lightroom 4 or newer, it's not the worst lens for it, but it is a bit more than average for this FL and speed.
Some of my favorite lenses have fairly high CA, but that is not much of an issue as I said above, there are worse things that can't be corrected very easily, like corner softness.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Chromatic aberration (CA) is easy to fix in Lightroom 4 or newer, it's not the worst lens for it, but it is a bit more than average for this FL and speed.
Some of my favorite lenses have fairly high CA, but that is not much of an issue as I said above, there are worse things that can't be corrected very easily, like corner softness.

+1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not insisting to be a smartass, but no software can fix color aberations. It just mask it by desaturating purple or green. It can't rebuild what was not captured in the image.