Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

2 white bulls - Summicron 2/50
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:47 am    Post subject: 2 white bulls - Summicron 2/50 Reply with quote

Old but gold. A B&W version of a color pic I took last year,

Summicron-R 2/50 + EOS MarkII (LightZone + Gimp)

IMG_0216-PB por Renato Augusto Salles, no Flickr

Renato

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a lot of bull Renato.
I am surprised and delighted to see this form of soil tillage still in use today. Are there many farmers who still use bullocks as draught animals?
They are rare in Australia.
Very crisp image and nice DOF.
The only image that I have of these animals pales by comparison

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, and I too, am pleased to see a traditional method still in use. Here in England, you wouldn't see that, but some people still use draught horses. I believe the correct term in English for a bull used as a draught animal is Oxen.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Very nice, and I too, am pleased to see a traditional method still in use. Here in England, you wouldn't see that, but some people still use draught horses. I believe the correct term in English for a bull used as a draught animal is Oxen.

All traditional bullocks used for draught purposes - in Australia at least - have been given the snip, and have always been called bullocks.
No bollocks!
OH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH,
Yes, it's nice to see this kink of tillage in use these days, and it is commonly used in small farms around here. Sometimes we cross with some at the village, too, it's amazing to see these animals in great shape and serving the way they did in the past,

Ian,

I'm always surprised to see how big can be the draught horses in England. Saw some of them in photos and films, very elegant animals,

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, bulls used for draught were always snipped here too, I think they probably did the same everywhere, you don't want to be in close proximity to a horny bull.

Huge draught horses are not just a British thing, France and Belgium have well known breeds too. I think the Belgian breed, the name of which escapes me right now, was the biggest. Clydesdales from Scotland are very big too. The most famous Clydesdales are the Budweiser brewery horses in the USA.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brabant is from Belgium and it is huge.
I rather like the look of Percherons - they have an unexpected elegance for a draught animal.
Anyhoo, getting back to Renato's Sumicron lens - I can't believe the prices that these go for.
I doubt I will ever own one.
Thanks for sharing Renato.
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brabant, that's it!

You can buy a Russian copy of the Summicron - the Helios-103, it's 22ukp for a new one from Russia and truly superb. Only problem is it will only work with mirrorless cameras as it's a rangefinder lens.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Ian - my wife says she saw a TV programme recently about a farm in England where bovines are used similarly. But she can't recall where.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belgian Horses are lovely, but rare and extremely expensive nowadays.
Although they find some use in forest exploitation in the Ardennes, most horses are purely for breeding and recreational purposes.

C U,
Rafael

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Ian - my wife says she saw a TV programme recently about a farm in England where bovines are used similarly. But she can't recall where.

Interesting, I love to hear that people are keeping these old skills and traditions alive.

I think it's the same here Rafael.