Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vipera berus..
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Vipera berus.. Reply with quote

Having tried my Pentacon 200mm on my last snake-hunt and found it lacking both in reach and close-focussing ability, I reverted back to the trusty Sigma 70-300mm APO. I keep telling myself to sell this lens as it's generally unremarkable except in good light. But it does have a decent reach, and it does focus closely for it's focal length. And LR4 does wonders for noise reduction.

The adders have eluded my camera ever since I started looking for snakes in the local woods. They're just to shy, elusive and fast. I've seen them many times, but usually behind deep cover and disappearing out of view before I can get the camera raised. This one I almost overlooked next to the path. But it made the trip worthwhile, even if it was the only snake I spotted all morning. It completes my set of every species of reptile in the woods (adder, grass snake, slow worm, common lizard).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice capture,Is it hard to find your subjects?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice clear shot...but I'd like to see adders eliminated at least from England because of the danger to small children. Years ago, when at the bottom of my garden was an open field, the common grass snakes used to like my compost heap and when turning the compost over would find eggs.....one year a snake was trying to swallow a large toad (back end first) and the toad didn't seem to care as it wasn't struggling and seemed to except its fate, but I thought a toad was more valuable in my garden for slugs etc so touched the snake and it let the toad go.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Nice clear shot...but I'd like to see adders eliminated at least from England because of the danger to small children. Years ago, when at the bottom of my garden was an open field, the common grass snakes used to like my compost heap and when turning the compost over would find eggs.....one year a snake was trying to swallow a large toad (back end first) and the toad didn't seem to care as it wasn't struggling and seemed to except its fate, but I thought a toad was more valuable in my garden for slugs etc so touched the snake and it let the toad go.

There's a YouTube video of a frog getting swallowed by a snake near a pond. The snake goes into the water, frog almost eaten with just the head sticking out. Anyways, another frog jumps out and the snake freaks out and releases the frog.

As for photographing snakes, I don't think I would be game enough to even try. As a kid up in the bush in Forster I saw a large Red Belly Black Snake pass me nearby. That really got my heart racing.

Funny thing was there were quite a few Kookaburras also keeping a keen eye on the snake. A big meal for them if they could manage to catch and kill it, but I doubt it they could. This snake was huge!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

parabellumfoto wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

There's a YouTube video of a frog getting swallowed by a snake near a pond. The snake goes into the water, frog almost eaten with just the head sticking out. Anyways, another frog jumps out and the snake freaks out and releases the frog.

As for photographing snakes, I don't think I would be game enough to even try. As a kid up in the bush in Forster I saw a large Red Belly Black Snake pass me nearby. That really got my heart racing.

Funny thing was there were quite a few Kookaburras also keeping a keen eye on the snake. A big meal for them if they could manage to catch and kill it, but I doubt it they could. This snake was huge!

What I've read, Australia is one of the most dangerous places on earth, esp those lethal jellyfish Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Nice clear shot...but I'd like to see adders eliminated at least from England because of the danger to small children.

I suggest you move to Ireland.

mo wrote:
Nice capture,Is it hard to find your subjects?

In this particular location snakes aren't hard to find at the right time of year and with favourable weather. Grass snakes are far more common and on a good day I can find a dozen or so in a 20 metre stretch of path.

Adders are much rarer, until now they've always been behind deep cover and very quick to spook and disappear into the undergrowth. This one was alert to my presence as soon as I stopped to watch it. Within a couple of minutes it headed off.

The site also has slow worms and common lizards.

The snakes are well known by most people that use the wood, and everyone I've spoken to in the woods respects and admires them. If I'm walking about with long lens and an intent look at the ground most people will guess what I'm looking for and kids on bikes, dog walkers, etc. will generally say if they've seen one that morning and where. I used to be quite secretive about the best spots within the wood, fearing ignorance and superstition of some might cause them to do the snakes harm. But everyone local seems to know where they are.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to capture a snake...via the camera and long lens of course,unfortunately the snakes here are deadly so I don't tend to go looking for them... Laughing

I have been in Australia 20+ years and have seen only a handful of live snakes, most have been dead run over on the road.We have two of the most deadliest where I live, the eastern brown and the tiger snake,both aggressive.They grow quite large from the ones I have seen crossing the road.I hope to be able to capture one on camera eventually...as long as I see it first and it's not too close.My husband has handled these snakes twice...not by choice...both times he was reaching under a rock / long grass....thankfully he grabbed and released (quite quickly) the non dangerous end.

I personally would only kill a snake if it was directly around my house and a direct threat to my children (snakes are protected here), and only if I could do it safely without injury to myself.Having said that, thankfully there are snake handlers that you can ring and they will come and remove the snake.

Are the snakes (adders and grass snakes) native to England?,I don't know much about them over there.Have you got any other images you could post perhaps in the photographers cafe??

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UK has three native snakes - the grass snake, the adder and the smooth snake. The last one is rare and not found locally. There are also lizards, including the slow worm and the common lizard. There are a couple of other lizards as well, but again not found locally. All reptiles are protected in the UK - it's illegal to kill, harm or trade them. Some species have greater protection (eg. smooth snake).

Might as well keep thing in one thread..

Grass snakes..

And there's a video here, www.flickr.com/photos/saltgeorge/8012305207/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent images what lens did you use,they must have been sunning themselves as the light looks very good.They are quite colorful I did not realize England has such a variety of native snakes.

My Pc is not the best when it comes to viewing flickr videos, but from what I saw you did a very good job capturing those snakes.

Thanks for sharing these,

In regards to a Manual lens being used for your snake hunting have you tried a Tamron 103A (80-210) it might not have the long reach but it does very well as an all round lens.I find it's light and easy to focus,I use it for taking rugby photos.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the last three images, the middle one was using a Pentacon 200mm f/4 and the others were using a Sony HX20V compact.

The ideal lens would probably be between 200mm and 300mm, and must close focus. MFD needs to be around 4'. Not that I can always get that close, but it would be nice.

I have tried using the Pentacon 200mm with extension tubes to gain close-focussing at the expense of infinity focus, I'm still refining this and testing it around the garden.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I join? Wink

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NikonD wrote:
May I join? Wink

Only if you tell us what they are Wink

(top one looks like an adder, but the markings are subtly different - regional variations?)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first one is Vipera aspis (or berus, really don't know), the second is Vipera ammodytes or modras as we call it Smile
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vipera_ammodytes