Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Found a new cheap lens for reflected UV-Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Found a new cheap lens for reflected UV-Photography Reply with quote

Today I tried nearly all my lenses for UV-transmission with 365nm LEDs, filtered through Shott UG1
Rodagon 50/2.8, Rodagon 135/5.6, some Russians like Jupiter 8M, Helios 44-2, Helios-103,... and many more.
All showed slight to strong haze in contact with UV-light. Some even strong fluorescence.
The only lens I found to be perfectly clear in UV-light was the Rodenstock Trinar 75/4.5

Straight JPEG modified NEX-5N
Light 365nm LED, filtered through Shott UG1

Crop:

No flare, no haze, very usable contrast and sharpness,... the lens seems to work very nice for UV-light. At least for 365nm. Unfortunately I have no Baader-U etc. filter to test it outdoors and no flowers to test it on something more interesting Wink.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very interesting indeed.
A humble triplet enlarger lens, isn't it?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's the case that the fewer elements the less UV is attenuated.

Anyone try UV pinhole pics?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have save quite some time by simply reading my BLOG uvir.eu as I have tested hundreds of lenses and the ones that do work, I have written about (right side link list). There is even a SEARCH function... Wink

That Trinar I know but did not find it sharp enough for my work.

Pinhole I tried, also shown on my BLOG with examples. Only good for large format, not digital UV.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be sharp with narrow-band LED but how will it perform with the "broad-band" Baader U2 and how deep in UV does it transmit?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Looks very interesting indeed.
A humble triplet enlarger lens, isn't it?

Yup, an uncoated very basic triplet enlarger lens. Very cheap.
Modern Rodagons also have usable UV-transmission (lower than Trinar though) but at least my ones also show very slight haze/fluorescence etc.

kds315* wrote:
You could have save quite some time by simply reading my BLOG uvir.eu as I have tested hundreds of lenses and the ones that do work, I have written about (right side link list). There is even a SEARCH function... Wink

That Trinar I know but did not find it sharp enough for my work.

Pinhole I tried, also shown on my BLOG with examples. Only good for large format, not digital UV.

Your blog is very nice but like most blogs also a little unübersichtlich
I wasn't able to find this Trinar in your blog bye the way

Alex H wrote:
It may be sharp with narrow-band LED but how will it perform with the "broad-band" Baader U2 and how deep in UV does it transmit?

I don't have such a filter at the moment Sad
If anyone knows a cheap offer, let me know!

Last edited by ForenSeil on Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:45 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VIS (cheap chinese UV-IR-Cut filter)

Schott UG1 + small UV torch light

crop:

A B/W conversion

Lens is not exactly as sharp as El-Nikkors or dedicated UV lenses but produces a perfectly clear picture without any flare, haze etc.. while having a usable transmission.
I think it should also work outdoors with Baader U or similar as there's only a tiny focus shift between VIS, UV and IR.

Need some more interesting subjects Smile

Last edited by ForenSeil on Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:36 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bw converted last UV image look pretty good to me!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the B&W version,and the crisp whiteness of the first.

Can I ask ForenSeil, what made you want to explore the UV world?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I like the B&W version,and the crisp whiteness of the first.

Can I ask ForenSeil, what made you want to explore the UV world?

Thx,
No real clue, but for some reason I'm a natural science geek since I'm a very young boy. I destilled alcohol with DIY instruments with 6 years and made black powder from fertilizer when I was 8 years old all without any parental help Very Happy etc. and experimenting/playing around never stopped with all kinds of experiments which can be done at home. Playing with UV light is somehow a "must-try" for me, the kid in me wants to see it Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
unübersichtlich

Now there is a word prounounced more clearly after distilling....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Found a new cheap lens for reflected UV-Photography Reply with quote

A lot of materials absorb UV -- more than you think. Most polycarbonates also do a fantastic job at killing UV. With all the wacky materials they use in making lenses and coatings, it's not surprising that some UV gets absorbed, scattered, or excites fluorescence leading to more scattered light.

I would guess (haven't tested) that likely most old, cheap uncoated lenses made of fused silica and nothing else might all do reasonably well for UV.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Found a new cheap lens for reflected UV-Photography Reply with quote

wuxiekeji wrote:

I would guess (haven't tested) that likely most old, cheap uncoated lenses made of fused silica and nothing else might all do reasonably well for UV.

Unfortunately not, as I have tested >100 lenses and barely a handful do transmit UV acceptably well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Found a new cheap lens for reflected UV-Photography Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Unfortunately not, as I have tested >100 lenses and barely a handful do transmit UV acceptably well.

Acceptable is of course a relative term, sir.
Few among us enjoy even a single single specimen of your All-Star line up of fine UV lenses.

"Denken Sie immer daran, egal wohin Sie gehen - da bist du ja." Buckaroo Banzai

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wasn't the criteria, I was referring to lenses that reach to about 320-340nm and having a transmission at 365nm of at least >50-60%

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People might look into old spectrum analyzers, those being surplused. Ones with optics in and that go down to the UV are good candidates.

I found an old Quartz lens, sent it to Klaus years ago. The salt lenses had deteriorated. One of the optical engineers at the lab told me that BK7 was good for near-UV.

http://www.schott.com/advanced_optics/us/abbe_datasheets/schott_datasheet_n-bk7.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spectrometers more often use mirrors instead of lenses to avoid CA.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some used optics. I'll try looking into which ones used optics. Unfortunately, both of the senior optical engineers that knew the old equipment have retired. Was nice to get immediate answers on everything from UV to thermal IR.