Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios Auto Wide Angle 28 f/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Helios Auto Wide Angle 28 f/2.8 Reply with quote

This is my first post to showcase a lens, so I hope you enjoy this post.

I bought this lens together with a Helios 44M for 25 euros and took it out while I cycled to work on one of the sunny days last week.
Perhaps not the most exciting shots but a nice way to see the character of the lens.

It's made in Japan and from the outside it looks a bit like my Auto Chinon 28/2.8

I think it is acceptably sharp wide open and pretty good stopped down at f/4.
The bokeh is also interesting, a bit swirly like the Helios 44 and nice and soft.

The lens itself:

Shots made in the grasses on a sunny day:

#1 - f/2.8

#2 - f/4

#3 - f2/.8

#4 - f/4

#5 - f/2.8

#6 - f/4

#7 - f/2.8

#8 - f/2.8

#9 - f/2.8

#10 - f/4

#11 - f/2.8

#12 - f2/.8

#13 - f/2.8

#14 - f/2.8

#15 - f/2.8

#16 - Helios 44-2 - f/2 (I think..)

Thanks for checking out and your comments!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice test, thanks for sharing. It looks a little soft at 2.8 but nicely sharp at f4, so I would say tat as long as you try to avoid using it at 2.8, it will serve you well.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Nice test, thanks for sharing. It looks a little soft at 2.8 but nicely sharp at f4, so I would say tat as long as you try to avoid using it at 2.8, it will serve you well.

Well, with a 28mm, that should be ok to avoid 2.8 Smile

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Pierre, I agree. Smile

I would add, it is typical for these 28mms to be a little soft wide open, and quite a few are still soft at f4, only becoming sharp at 5.6, so this one is not bad at all.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Yes Pierre, I agree. Smile

I would add, it is typical for these 28mms to be a little soft wide open, and quite a few are still soft at f4, only becoming sharp at 5.6, so this one is not bad at all.

Thanks for looking!
It's indeed somewhat soft at f/2.8, don't know exactly how it compared to my other 28mm lenses.
In these shots I also like the depth better at f/4, but f/2.8 fully shows the bokeh.

What do you think of the bokeh?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bokeh is, to my eyes, typical of these fairly modern 5 element 28mms, not bad but a little 'busy'. I prefer the bokeh of the f4 shots actually, to my eyes it looks smoother and less 'busy', I think because the glowing circles that are present at 2.8 have gone. I actually think the f4 bokeh is pretty nice.