Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Shortest 75mm (or greater) lens / NEX adapter combo?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Shortest 75mm (or greater) lens / NEX adapter combo? Reply with quote

I am fortunate to own some great anamorphic glass. Some of it is quite large and heavy and I am hoping that someone here can recommend a taking lens of 75mm or more that will allow me to bring the heavy anamorphic lens a bit closer to the camera body. Based on flange distance (and resulting adapter thickness), I have been looking at C-mount, M39, L39, Contax G, Pen F and Pentax 110. I know that there is no such thing as a 75mm or more pancake lens, but does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

EDIT: I should mention that in order to be full compatible with anamorphic glass, taking lenses should preferably have a non-rotating filter thread.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know very much about anamorphic lenses and you don't mention what camera you're going to use, so it's a bit difficult to give any really useful advice. Is it to be used for stills or movies? Do you need a fast lens? Do you need close focusing? All questions and no answers, I fear Sad Maybe you can let us know a bit more about what's needed . . . ?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pentax a110 is tiny .. but i don't know how you will mount the anamorphic lens on it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for a SLR lens Pentax DA70 must be shortest, it's like a pancake and only weighs 130 grms, check this out: http://www.photozone.de/pentax/127-pentax-smc-da-70mm-f24-limited-review--test-report ..but well, it's only 70mm and note that you'd need the adapter that has an aperture ring
followed possibly by Olympus Zuiko and Pentax M 2/85?

most 75mm C mount lenses are thin but also rather long

I am very curious myself if there are any 75mm+ RF lenses smaller / shorter than the SLR lenses I mentioned, even including the NEX adapter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
I don't know very much about anamorphic lenses and you don't mention what camera you're going to use, so it's a bit difficult to give any really useful advice. Is it to be used for stills or movies? Do you need a fast lens? Do you need close focusing? All questions and no answers, I fear Sad Maybe you can let us know a bit more about what's needed . . . ?

Think of an anamorphic lens as the biggest, heaviest filter you've ever used -- it goes in front of your regular taking lens by means of an anamorphic clamp, which is then adapted to your taking lens with an appropriate step ring. In most cases, you have to focus both the taking lens and the anamorphic to achieve focus, but my lenses only require that the anamorphic lens be focused (the taking lens is set to infinity; or in the case of one of my lenses, slightly less than infinity). So in theory, I could get away with a non-focusing lens that defaults to infinity focus, as long as I could make some backfocus adjustments.

Why go through all this? Well, I get a 1.5x or 2x (depending on the lens) stretched image, oval bokeh, and beautiful horizontal flares: https://vimeo.com/42505123

The camera that I am using in this particular case is a Sony NEX-FS100 interchangeable-lens camcorder with a Super-35 sensor (almost exactly the same size as APS-C). Some people also use anamorphic lenses for stills, but I only use them for video work. I don't necessarily need a fast lens. F4 would be fine.

Why 75mm or more? I've found that this is the "sweet spot", before which I get vignetting. The taking lens is essentially shooting through a very long tube, and in this case the tube stretches the image so it's very easy to accidentally catch the sides of the anamorphic barrel in your shot.

I have some Nikkor AIS prime lenses (85mm f2 and 105mm f2.5) that do a good job, but they are long -- and the combination of either of these lenses with an adapter, an anamorphic, and an anamorphic clamp is about a foot long. I'd like to see if I can find a shorter taking lens!

Last edited by QuickHitRecord on Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
The pentax a110 is tiny .. but i don't know how you will mount the anamorphic lens on it.

It's very close but there's only a 70mm, which means I would get vignetting. I already have the Pentax 110 50mm for use with anamorphics on my micro four thirds camera.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
for a SLR lens Pentax DA70 must be shortest, it's like a pancake and only weighs 130 grms, check this out: http://www.photozone.de/pentax/127-pentax-smc-da-70mm-f24-limited-review--test-report ..but well, it's only 70mm and note that you'd need the adapter that has an aperture ring
followed possibly by Olympus Zuiko and Pentax M 2/85?

most 75mm C mount lenses are thin but also rather long

I am very curious myself if there are any 75mm+ RF lenses smaller / shorter than the SLR lenses I mentioned, even including the NEX adapter

Right now, the closest lens that I have to what I am looking for is the Nikkor AIS 85/2, so that's the bar. The Pentax DA70 unfortunately is just short of 75mm, and once I couple it with a Pentax K to NEX adapter (http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Adapter-PK-NEX-E-mount-NEX-VG10/dp/B003Y302FI) it is not very short at all unfortunately. That's why I am looking specifically at the mounts above as they'll allow me to use shorter adapters.

Thanks for the suggestions, and I'm curious too. I've already done quite a bit of searching (including looking into enlarging lenses) but I have not been able to find what I am looking for. But if it exists, I'm fairly certain that a person who knows about it posts on MFLenses!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think many companies bothered with telephoto designs for 75mm, so most are 75mm from the film plane... The Bosch & Lomb 75mm for the Argus C3 was indeed a true telephoto design - but the front of the barrel rotates, it's probably too weak to have something heavy mounted on the front, and it's incredibly rare (one will show up on ebay maybe once every three years).

If you have the money though and the patience - ISCO made an anamorphic lens for SLRs called the Iscorama, which is actually rather compact (for an anamorphic lens for 35mm) I think it has been discussed on these forums a couple of times.

edit: hmmm it looks like asking prices have doubled in the past fews years... I guess people caught on that you could shoot video with these lenses instead of just play with them on Exaktas.

Last edited by Mos6502 on Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, QuickHitRecord !

Thanks for the tutorial - now I know a lot more than I did Smile

Would the Voigtlander 75mm f2.5 in Leica rangefinder fitting be a possibility? It's physically a short lens with the 'short' Leica register. It comes fitted with a removeable lens hood and I think once that's off, it's probably not much bigger than the 70mm Pentax mentioned by kuuan. It's certainly shorter than the 85mm Nikkor.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the Retina Arton 85/4, which is able to produce very fine photos. It is also very small even with the hugh dkl adapter, as can be seen here. The only major drawback is the long mfd. (In the photo, I do not have a 70da so I substitute with a 40da which is about a centimeter shorter.)

Enlarger lenses like SK componar or Meopta Belar 75/4.5 are rather tiny but you will need a rather long helicoid though.

Last edited by tao on Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:43 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Mos6502 Yes, I had an Iscorama once. But they are (perceived to be) so valuable these days that I rarely dared to take it out of the house!

@scsambrook I hadn't looked at that Voigtlander. It actually looks very promising.

@tao It is so helpful to see all of these side-by-side. Thanks for posting this photo. I am not familiar with the Retina Arton 85/4. That is a pretty thick adapter (NEX is similar to MFT in register) but the lens itself is so small that it might just work. I'll read up on it!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:

Would the Voigtlander 75mm f2.5 in Leica rangefinder fitting be a possibility? It's physically a short lens with the 'short' Leica register. It comes fitted with a removeable lens hood and I think once that's off, it's probably not much bigger than the 70mm Pentax mentioned by kuuan. It's certainly shorter than the 85mm Nikkor.

right, not 'much' bigger, to be precise:
the CV 2.5/75 is 56mm long, it's NEX adapter must be 10.8mm long, total 60,8mm
the DA70 is 26mm long, it's NEX adapter must be 27,46mm long, total 53.46mm