Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

EBC X-Fujinon 55mm F1.6 DM on NEX 5N
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: EBC X-Fujinon 55mm F1.6 DM on NEX 5N Reply with quote

Biometar type lens with 5 elements in 4 groups. Sharpness seems very good to excellent from F2.8 with high contrast. The only major weakness is the build quality as the body is made of plastics instead of metal.

Photos converted from RAW to JPG with resize and minimal sharpen use the standard camera profile.

Thanks for viewing!

Last edited by calvin83 on Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good to me! Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Looks good to me! Smile

Thanks. This lens do perform well in digital with good flare resistance. Cool

BTW, The new Kiwi adapter for X-Fujinon lens do have a pin to stop down the aperture.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of these, good lens, nice bokeh. The build quality is actually not bad compared to the later X-Fujinons, those are really cheap and plasticky, I took a couple of them apart, really flimsy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good selection of pictures! #4 is my favorite.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing these excellent shots with us. I would like to direct your attention to the deeply saturated greens and nicely differentiated reds in No. 7. I haven't seen that with other lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

BTW, The new Kiwi adapter for X-Fujinon lens do have a pin to stop down the aperture.

Interesting news... Do you have a photo?

The workaround is easy (http://billead.com/fujinon/#howto) but it wont hurt to have a proper adapter instead.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fujinonuser wrote:
Thank you for sharing these excellent shots with us. I would like to direct your attention to the deeply saturated greens and nicely differentiated reds in No. 7. I haven't seen that with other lenses.

Thanks. I have not notice the green/red differentiation but only the deeply saturated greens.

Bille wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

Interesting news... Do you have a photo?

The workaround is easy (http://billead.com/fujinon/#howto) but it wont hurt to have a proper adapter instead.

You can see the stop pin of this new "LMA-FJ-EM II" adapter.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: EBC X-Fujinon 55mm F1.6 DM on NEX 5N Reply with quote

Thanks for the photo.

calvin83 wrote:
The only major weakness is the build quality as the body is made of plastics instead of metal.

I have heard this before, but things need to be put in perspective about build quality. Construction of the lens is a plastic / aluminum composite, better than any of the later first generation AF lenses from Minolta, Canon or Nikon. My - admittedly mint - copy of the 55/1.6 feels quite solid, no issues.

For reference:
http://www.dantestella.com/technical/lightcheap.html

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: EBC X-Fujinon 55mm F1.6 DM on NEX 5N Reply with quote

Bille wrote:
Thanks for the photo.

calvin83 wrote:
The only major weakness is the build quality as the body is made of plastics instead of metal.

I have heard this before, but things need to be put in perspective about build quality. Construction of the lens is a plastic / aluminum composite, better than any of the later first generation AF lenses from Minolta, Canon or Nikon. My - admittedly mint - copy of the 55/1.6 feels quite solid, no issues.

For reference:
http://www.dantestella.com/technical/lightcheap.html

Metal body will make me feel better although it will make the lens more heavy. This is just my own preference on MF lens.

I heard this lens used a plastic housing to hold the front lens group( http://www.bigeye.url.tw/big5/d_fuji5516.htm ). It will be really announcing if there are fungus inside the front lens group.

BTW, plastics can be durable as stell: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/06/120607141644.htm

Last edited by calvin83 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I had one of these, good lens, nice bokeh. The build quality is actually not bad compared to the later X-Fujinons, those are really cheap and plasticky, I took a couple of them apart, really flimsy.

The build quality of the X-fujinons can be anything from very very good (19/3.5) to quite bad for some of the standard lenses. The metal screw in hood of the 19mm is extremely nice and the lens feels like a proper high end lens, which it is.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re. adapters, the one for the new Fujifilm X-mount (i.e., X-Pro1, X-E1, X-M1) also has the stop-down pin.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice presentation. Strong front glass curvature gives wide-open photos distinctive signature. Quite a special lens.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would the curvature of the lens' front surface affect the rendering?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Why would the curvature of the lens' front surface affect the rendering?

Tough question. I can only assume it does. Changing it with flat one gives strange results.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku: PM sent.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice lens!! Never seen one here in the Netherlands though, i wonder if they've been sold here......