Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Topcor 58mm f/1.4 adapter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Topcor 58mm f/1.4 adapter Reply with quote

I just picked up a Topcon re super with a Topcor 58mm f/1.4. It's beautiful. I've done some searching but I can't find a definitive answer to which adapter to get. I'll be using it on a 5dmkii. I don't want to change the mount to m42 because I want to be able to use it on the re super body.

Anyone have any experience with this on a full frame body?

Thanks. And I'll post some pictures as soon as I have some.
Matt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know what you find. I have the RE, AUTO-TOPCOR 58mm mounted [in your honor] on my 5DmkII right now... and the mirror hangs. Sad

I have the conversion kit to m42 in my desk, but I can shoot the lens with mirror-up, so I'm procrastinating.

My 58mm is in cm, so it’s a 5.8cm, and I "just" noticed a wide tab on the end of the rear lens block. I bet that is hanging my mirror, as this tab must be the deepest reach into the cam. Probably an important tab for your Super!

My m42 conversion kit is reversible, so it’s a non-destructible conversion Laughing I have converted a few Topcors to m42 already.

Last edited by Bruce on Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:24 pm; edited 11 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I converted mine to A-mount for my Sony A900 (FF, of course) and really enjoy it. Actually, my wife adopted it on her A300 and uses it almost exclusively.

Though it won't help you directly, you could probably do the same thing I did. Removing the back mount and bolting on an M42-Canon adaptor (A-mount in my case of course). Tap the adaptor so the screw holes line up with the original mount (because there is no M42 to screw it onto of course) then just put it on in place of the original. You may need to shim - I had to trim. You may even be able to bolt it on over top the original, with slightly longer screws. I showed my result over at Dyxum.com -

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/tokyo-kogaku-58-14-topcon-exakta-to-sony_topic44362.html

Couple pics since -

[img]

Best of luck,

Kelly.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always love the look of your images Kelly.
Please let us in on the work-flow would you? Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second one is great. I like to see these images, it's 20-30 centimeters of snow here...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Thanks for the tips. For now I just took an OM adapter(it fit best) and super-glued it to the back of the Topcon. It's nowhere near the proper distance and I can only focus out to about 12 or 15 feet. I know it's not ideal, but I wanted to see what the lens could do. Here are the results of my first quick shots.

So far I love this lens. It's reasonbly sharp and the bokeh(which is one of the main reasons I picked it up) is very smooth. It's also much more color neutral than my other thoriated lenses or my zuiko 55(which seems too cool sometimes).

Now...I need a permanent mounting solution. Has anyone tried any of the hong kong made adapters with the 5d? I would ideally like to be able to pop it on and off between the canon and the topcor super, but if there's no choice I'll do some surgery.

Bruce...mine is the 58mm silver lens and it also has the tab off the back, which seems like it will make it hang on the mirror(it did with a thinner mount that I tried before I attached the OM mount).

Kelly...your pictures are beautiful. How far out are you able to focus?

Thanks,
Matt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Always love the look of your images Kelly.
Please let us in on the work-flow would you? Smile

Thx Andy, will visit the workflow section!

no-X wrote:
The second one is great. I like to see these images, it's 20-30 centimeters of snow here...

In all fairness, its snowy here too, those snaps were from last spring/summer =)

mattbenn8 wrote:
So far I love this lens. It's reasonbly sharp and the bokeh(which is one of the main reasons I picked it up) is very smooth. It's also much more color neutral than my other thoriated lenses or my zuiko 55(which seems too cool sometimes).

Now...I need a permanent mounting solution. Has anyone tried any of the hong kong made adapters with the 5d? I would ideally like to be able to pop it on and off between the canon and the topcor super, but if there's no choice I'll do some surgery.

Bruce...mine is the 58mm silver lens and it also has the tab off the back, which seems like it will make it hang on the mirror(it did with a thinner mount that I tried before I attached the OM mount).

Kelly...your pictures are beautiful. How far out are you able to focus?

Thanks,
Matt

Thx Matt, I see you're enjoying the nice close focus of this lens as well. The solution I've installed goes to infinity. I should say - I need to shave about another 0.1mm from my adapter to hit infinity properly at f1.4, but its sharply within range by f4 or so. I just didn't bother to take the back off again to finish up after my last round of sanding the adapter since I mostly use the lens up close for shallow dof stuff, or stopped down for distance subjects.

With the shallower flange distance on the Canon, the solution should be even easier.

K.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tab on the back of the lens mount is there just to make it safe to put down the lens on a table without scratching the protruding rear element. Removing it would do no optical harm.

There's a smaller version on the 28/2.8 and the two GN Topcor 50mm lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M42 replacement offered on fleabay is a fully reversible operation. I use the 100/2.8 and the 35/3.5 this way. The 135 will be done soon too.

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:16 am    Post subject: Adaptor available again Reply with quote

Greetings

Just ordered one here, waiting with bated breath to use the TOPCOR RE Super 58mm f1.4 on my 550D

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=Exakta-Topcon-Lens-To-Canon-EOS-EF-Mount-adapter

How does one imbed a URL link here? help
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=Exakta-Topcon-Lens-To-Canon-EOS-EF-Mount-adapter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Adaptor available again Reply with quote

Sergei wrote:
Greetings

Just ordered one here, waiting with bated breath to use the TOPCOR RE Super 58mm f1.4 on my 550D

How does one imbed a URL link here? help

Welcome! New member has no right to publish anything, from now you able to post links, images etc. Enjoy your stay!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privet Attila, thanks for the welcome and clearing that up for me, I was getting frustrated trying to pass on the link.
This looks like an interesting and friendly Forum, looking forward to exploring and sharing information and knowledge.

Sergei

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1,4 Topcor, too, second version, but still with 5,8cm instead of 58mm.
Made me an adapter for my Sigma SD14 (no infinity, around 5m maximum) just to try it. I didn't manage to get out of our garden with that lens right now, so here are just a few non-artistic shots.
All (except number 3) at 1:1,4.
I love that lens!

Klaus

Razz

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely samples Klaus!

Is there adapter available for UV Topcors without aperture mover ring like here: Click here to see on Ebay.de

I have mint 4/28mm and would like to try it on EOS.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe UV Topcors have a different register distance and thus can't be used on Canon EOS cameras Sad

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topcon used to make an adapter to adapt UV Topcor mount to RE mount, but it is quite difficult to find and could be the reason why UV Topcors are so cheap and not sold easily. The is also a major difference between the two mounts: the aperture of the UV Topcor lenses is adjusted on the camera body ( like the DKL lenses ), so to use it on other camera bodies, a way has to be devised to adjust the aperture apart from mounting.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been testing my Topcor 58 1.4 for some time. I got the newest.. 4th gen that is. Been loving it.
Adapted it to m42. Using with my Bessaflex.

I just finished my last exam, got some more free time now.
Gonna post a topic sooner or later.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I guess a way would be to obtain defect TOPCON camera body and take down aperture mover?

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could probably be done as I have seen report that somebody did take out the mount from the camera body and modified the rear end as an adapter. However this could be a complicated process and requires service of a professional, have to decide whether it is worthwhile or not.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, someone did take the lens mount from a Topcon IC-1 to use as an adapter for UV-mount lenses.

Note, however, that the UV-mount lenses were Tokyo Kogaku's "economy" line, and they are nowhere near as optically good as the RE Auto-Topcors. Reviews in Camera:35 magazine were pretty awful. Not really worth a big investment in using them.

Similarly, the RE Topcors (without Auto in the name) are really Cima Kogaku lenses, no great shakes. However, the RE Topcor 200/3.3 does fill a "hole" in Topcon's lens lineup -- a fast 200mm lens. (The RE Auto-Topcor 200/5.6 is slow and not that sharp to boot.) Of course, those lenses also came in many other mounts (with other brands), including M42, Pentax K, Nikon, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
The M42 replacement offered on fleabay is a fully reversible operation. I use the 100/2.8 and the 35/3.5 this way. The 135 will be done soon too.

patrickh

What is this M42 replacement method? Does someone sell a kit?

P.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Shriver wrote:
Yes, someone did take the lens mount from a Topcon IC-1 to use as an adapter for UV-mount lenses.

Note, however, that the UV-mount lenses were Tokyo Kogaku's "economy" line, and they are nowhere near as optically good as the RE Auto-Topcors. Reviews in Camera:35 magazine were pretty awful. Not really worth a big investment in using them.

Similarly, the RE Topcors (without Auto in the name) are really Cima Kogaku lenses, no great shakes. However, the RE Topcor 200/3.3 does fill a "hole" in Topcon's lens lineup -- a fast 200mm lens. (The RE Auto-Topcor 200/5.6 is slow and not that sharp to boot.) Of course, those lenses also came in many other mounts (with other brands), including M42, Pentax K, Nikon, etc.

Valuable info. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 25, 35, 58 and 135mm RE lenses. I use a cheapo ebay adaptor from ebay for my 5DII. The mirror hits the lens flange for all lenses. So I had to file down upper part of the all the lens flanges a bit. I also had to file down the aperture pin in the back of the lens to be able to mount these lenses on the adaptor. 35 and 135 now have infinity focus. 25mm does not go all the way to infinity but infinity is within the depth of field at f5.6. Hope this helps others.

Here are some pictures from the 58. Actually a 5.8cm 1.8 f.auto

Here are the actual pixels from the above picture