Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Manual lenses my collection buy or sell?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Manual lenses my collection buy or sell? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am building up a pretty well sized collection of manual lenses for my nikkon d7000 and d800. There is much overlap in range. Some of those lenses are obscure or rarely pop up for sale on ebay and some are old favorites from Nikkor and well known brands like Tamron. I don't regret buying a single one of them and they are all sitting cozy in my drybox.

Yet, when I did my recent shoot, I pulled 5 of them, but only did use 2-3. I think I can trim my collection from 35-40 lenses to just 10 or less, if I just pick up the BEST of the BEST for a given range prime and zoom. The question I am now asking myself why keep them?

Most of these lenses will not keep their value well in 10-15 years (even nikkor lenses value go down) and I might die from a sudden disease or accident and they may end up just sitting there on the shelf getting sporadic use before getting liquidated by my relatives. Of course, I might also decide to take them for spin just to have 'fun' with some of the oldies. I am loath to sell them, because I love having them, and I also can't justify keeping them and wonder if I should sell them and buy more expensive glass. All in all if you owned a collection of 40 lenses from Nikkon, Tamron, Vivitar, Tokina, Voigtander, and some obscure vendors with overlap in range what would YOU do with them?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me I'd keep every last lens. I don't think they are going down in value. I think they are going up in value.

This assumes you are storing and safeguarding your lenses properly, as it seems you are.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
If it were me I'd keep every last lens. I don't think they are going down in value. I think they are going up in value.

This assumes you are storing and safeguarding your lenses properly, as it seems you are.

I am having a hard time figuring this out. Let's say a Tamron Adaptall 2 lens I bought for $150 and goes for that on Ebay. I can't imagine 10 years ago it was worth the equivalent of $150!? The Nikon Holy Trinity is worth a few grand a pop. I suspect in 5 years they will be worth 2/3 or 1/2 that?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual lenses my collection buy or sell? Reply with quote

IMHO I think lenses are for taking out and shooting with, not to keep as museum pieces for appreciation in price. I wouldn't worry about value. If I were in your situation I'd go out on morning or evening walks for the next 40 days carrying a different lens each day to see how it feels and what the results are like. The ones that I think I never see myself wanting to actually take out, sell away immediately at fair market value. Then use that money NOW to buy yourself something more useful to your photography, such as a plane ticket to somewhere interesting. Don't wait, life is short.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual lenses my collection buy or sell? Reply with quote

wuxiekeji wrote:
IMHO I think lenses are for taking out and shooting with, not to keep as museum pieces for appreciation in price. I wouldn't worry about value. If I were in your situation I'd go out on morning or evening walks for the next 40 days carrying a different lens each day to see how it feels and what the results are like. The ones that I think I never see myself wanting to actually take out, sell away immediately at fair market value. Then use that money NOW to buy yourself something more useful to your photography, such as a plane ticket to somewhere interesting. Don't wait, life is short.

Nice idea!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would only sell the expensive (unused) ones and keep the fun and cheap ones. Use the money to buy other lenses and repeat the process. I'm not buying my lenses because I consider it an investment, I just love the 'old' lenses and take them for a ride once in a while. I have many 50's but most are different in character. So I keep them all Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been in a similar situation a few times. Most recently I have been in a buy-back phase, wishing I never would have sold my lenses to begin with. I've done the same thing -- rationalizing that various lenses I own are never used, therefore I should sell them while they still have some value. Because of this attitude, I got rid of some lenses that I really wish now I hadn't. I have made a personal vow that any lens I buy now -- unless it's a complete turkey or it was part of an outfit that I bought and wasn't the reason why I bought it -- will remain in my collection forever -- or at least for the rest of my life. I'll leave instructions in my will to my daughter as to how she can maximize her profits when she sells off my collection. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought and sold a lot during the last years. More than 200 lenses went through my hands that way.
Recently I have rather sold than bought and reduced my collection considerable. But I often feel that I should sell some more.

At the moment I arranged the remainig lenses in "sets" or "combos" with different cams.
Most of those cams I'd like to keep and that's why I keep those lenses as well.

But after a while, I realize that there are other lenses that I do not need any more and that I do not have a special relationship to or a feeling for. Then those lenses will have to go as well - although it's nice to have them.

The only lens I really regret to have sold is the Nikkor-O 2/35. But I have never re-bought a lens (unless I found one for a very low price.)

I really feel like reducing my stuff to a sensible level. That isn't easy, though.

Have you got some lenses that...

... you have not used in the last year and...
... it's not a special item (that e.g. was a present by a friend or brings back certain memories)?

Yes? Sell it.

If you have some rare lenses, you also should perhaps think about selling them. Lenses mostly are not a good investment. Only some are. And it's just with shares at the stock market, you can't tell which ones. Wink
Nobody would have imagined six years ago that a simple Trioplan 100 would go for that ridiculous amount of money one day!

Leica lenses truned out to be a good investment but not if you buy them now. They are already expensive, some over-priced.

Again, I really would like to reduce my collection to 10 or 12 lenses, because that feels really refreshing. But as long as I keep so many camera systems that won't be possible. Embarassed Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual lenses my collection buy or sell? Reply with quote

wuxiekeji wrote:

That is, without a doubt, the most comprehensively good suggestion I have read on any forum for a long time... I doff my cap to you sir!

Wink

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual lenses my collection buy or sell? Reply with quote

DerKerusker wrote:
wuxiekeji wrote:

That is, without a doubt, the most comprehensively good suggestion I have read on any forum for a long time... I doff my cap to you sir!

Wink

+1
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
OH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried about 20 M42 lenses during the last year. It was fun of course, but I personally found that there is no real need to have several lenses in the same focal length. I know that every lens is different, so I can understand that many of us like to experiment with different camera/lens set-ups. This is a good thing! However I only used a portion of my collection; some of those lenses were only once on my camera. So why should they collect dust in the cabinet? Life is short and there is no time to use all the different lenses as much as we should. LucisPictor's advice is a good start to sell the really underused lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the wrong guy to ask, as I have 100+ lenses and I don't really want to sell any of them, though I would like to swap a few out for different copies to see if the copy I have is a dud.
I'm focusing my money on the better lenses now, the ones that I'll be buried with. Cool
But that doesn't mean I don't want my other lenses, coming from a 1DIII to a NEX-7 I've not used some of my previous faves anywhere near as much, if that happens again when I move away from my 7, I'd hate to have to buy lenses I already had, I've seen a good number of shooters do that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Examine the original impetus for collecting...or second guess it, as is happening here, because the goal has changed. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Examine the original impetus for collecting...or second guess it, as is happening here, because the goal has changed. Wink

Yes, it has.

What happened was I was buying lenses for a wedding photography business. I couldn't afford at the time an expensive camera and expensive lenses. Since I live in a dirt poor country, I can get AWAY with not having top-notch pro equipment. I only really needed couple of lenses, but since there is no place to test them here, I bought a bit more than I need. I ended up on a bit of a buying spree and 3-4 lenses ended up being 30+ Wink

My financial situation changed and I was able to buy a D800 and Mamiya and couple of pro lenses. Going by my 'initial' motivation I could get rid of 90% of my current collection. However, as I got more and more experience with manual lenses, I've fallen in love with each one of them. I love the idea of having them, their history, and I am proud of my collection.

I started by trying to save money by buying oldie and cheap GOOD lenses and I ended up as a manual lens lover who enjoys having a collection and taking it out for ride as often as possible. But now my practical side is wagging his finger at the collector's side and saying why are you getting sentimental. It is just glass. Get rid of what will not help you make money and just keep what is needed for a business. The other side is wagging his finger and saying hey each lens has a personality and paint differently.

I don't need the money, so I don't need to sell them. I haven't had them long enough yet to decide how long I am going to use them yet. And apparently, I am still BUYING lenses. So, I guess for now, the best thing to do is just wait and shoot with what I have.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maldaye wrote:
But now my practical side is wagging his finger at the collector's side and saying why are you getting sentimental. It is just glass.

Do bear in mind that manual old lenses were all designed for film. Digital was no match for film in resolution until very, very recently. So there are some fantastic, tack-sharp, perfectly good lenses to be had in the manual world. There are also plenty of lenses being manufactured these days which are utter crap. The thing is price has little to do with how good a lens is, given antique value, name brand, scarcity, build quality and other factors coming in to play. So do your research, do some experiments, and find out which of your MF lenses are the good ones. I wouldn't categorically sell them all off just because they're old and you have money to buy modern ones. Some of your cheap vintage lenses may actually be perfectly suited to weddings, if not deliver a classic feel that no modern lens will give you. As you say, each lens does have its personality, and this is especially true when you compare Russian glass to German glass and the personalities and goals of different lens manufacturers. Vintage lenses could even be what sets you apart from the other photographers out there. When all is said and done you should do work you love doing, so if you think MF is fun then shoot MF!