Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MOM Telor 100mm f2 - Shooting instax - Projector lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:13 am    Post subject: MOM Telor 100mm f2 - Shooting instax - Projector lens? Reply with quote

I just got this and it looks like it will be very useful.

What I know MOM (Hungarian) Telor 1:2/1000 no 797330

Looks to be and adapted projector lens. The f stops aren't numbered and focus helicoid has no distance, all looks rather generic and far too new.

I've only taken a few pictures, but the transmittance appears to be quite good. This matters for me as I shoot a lot of Instax (ISO 800), indoors, with available light.. which means I'm into very slow shutter speeds far too often. I'm also hoping to do some good

I'm interested in anything longer and shorter that's f2.3 or faster and can be adapted to Hasselblad, Pentacon 6, or Salut

Does anyone recognize the adapter used here?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an example. The iPhone adds some sharpening etc.. I should look into turning that off sometime. Looks better in person

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make take a look at ISCO or Schneider cine lenses? There’s an active thread on the forum about that right now. Some of them are pretty fast.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KO-120 and KO-140mm f/1.8 seems to be popular to adapt. I'm not sure about the image circle though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
KO-120 and KO-140mm f/1.8 seems to be popular to adapt. I'm not sure about the image circle though.

Thanks, I've heard it mentioned as a 35mm projector lens, so think it's too small. Also a bit swirly.

This adapted projection lens route has come a long way since I first saw mention of it. And maybe I wasn't paying enough attention!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photos taken with this lens

I am looking forward to it

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: MOM Telor 100mm f2 - Shooting instax - Projector lens? Reply with quote

hudson wrote:

I'm interested in anything longer and shorter that's f2.3 or faster and can be adapted to Hasselblad, Pentacon 6, or Salut

I think that's going to be quite hard... not a lot of medium format projection or cine lenses in general and those which do cover 6x6 (that's what you need, correct?) are rarely faster than f/2.8

Here's a quick search for medium format projection lenses:

https://deltalenses.com/product-category/projector-lenses/?swoof=1&woof_text=medium%20format&really_curr_tax=6222-product_cat

You'll notice a pattern.. They're often longer (120 mm and upwards) and/or slower.

There's a chance there are some faster ones by Meopta. Mark gives an overview about many models here:
https://deltalenses.com/meopta-projector-lenses/

The longer focal length of the P.O., Dalnar or Meostigmat series could cover 6x6. Many Meopta projection lenses are sold for unreasonable prices, but if you can find a cheap one they could be an excellent choice.

If you can live with an f/2.8 lens there are significantly more options however. Cine projection lenses rarely cover the format you need, as far as I know, and if so they're usually awfully expensive, even in less than ideal state.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: MOM Telor 100mm f2 - Shooting instax - Projector lens? Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:

I think that's going to be quite hard... not a lot of medium format projection or cine lenses in general and those which do cover 6x6 (that's what you need, correct?) are rarely faster than f/2.8

Yes, 6x6 is what I need. Thanks for the link. You're correct about the slower and longer. Medium format is quite frustrating in general. At least I'm invested in the "Faster than normal" medium format systems. That being said, there's lots of f2.8 lenses available natively. So there would have to be something special about a f2.8 or slower projector lens that made it worthwhile.

simple.joy wrote:

There's a chance there are some faster ones by Meopta. Mark gives an overview about many models here:
https://deltalenses.com/meopta-projector-lenses/

The longer focal length of the P.O., Dalnar or Meostigmat series could cover 6x6. Many Meopta projection lenses are sold for unreasonable prices, but if you can find a cheap one they could be an excellent choice.

If you can live with an f/2.8 lens there are significantly more options however. Cine projection lenses rarely cover the format you need, as far as I know, and if so they're usually awfully expensive, even in less than ideal state.

Again thanks.. I've been actually trying to find information on the Meopta Stigmar XX lenses. Your link is the best I've seen so far for this brand, but they just list them as Industrial with no more information. I think I've read they're X Ray and/or for mounting behind other lenses? At any rate, they look promising.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have an Astro Berlin 150mm f1.8 coming that will need to get adapted somehow. It has aperture and focus helicoid, just has some unknown to me mount.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tachi wrote:
The photos taken with this lens

I am looking forward to it

I'm hoping to get a bunch soon and I'll post. I'm very impressed with this lens.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a chance to use it on the weekend

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do you hang instax on/in Hassa? a hardware hack ..?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:
how do you hang instax on/in Hassa? a hardware hack ..?

NONS and others make a back. They all have pluses and minuses, but I'm going with the NONS (Have two of them now). Have one on a Kiev 88 CM (not suported, I just file the hooks on the Kiev body slightly and they work, also made it work with a Kiev 8Cool.

The only setback with the NONS is as you can see, the image doesn't use all of the film frame. It was a little annoying at first, but I've gotten used to it.

I'm quite pleased with it and as long as you're doing things mostly correctly and taking the inherent limitations of Instax film in mind, you can get quite good shots. Those were at F2. But with some smaller aperture and the right light, you can get some pretty sharp results.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, so its kind of an adapter for instax film for the back (i suppose).

what the philosophy behind using instax film with 6x6 body?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:
ok, so its kind of an adapter for instax film for the back (i suppose).

what the philosophy behind using instax film with 6x6 body?

Yes it's a film back. You need a 6x6 format to cover the Instax Square. 6x7 covers it perfectly, but those modular systems seem to be less popular and are more restrictive for lens options etc.

The idea is to get affordable instant film. New Polaroid film is both too large for 6x6 and too expensive to be economical (It's approximately 3x the cost per picture).

I have some other "dslr" cameras that were made specifically to shoot instax and use 35mm format lenses, but they have a bunch of downsides (giant quality reducing enlarger, delayed shutter, not full viewfinder) that makes the 6x6 the better option.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice,

do you have costs breakdown maybe aka;

- price of the adapter + 100 pieces instax = ?

- price of 8 rolls 120 film (+ development if you cant do it ur self) = ?

or, where is teh breakeven between your solution and using film (BW should be cheaper)

just curios as i had similar ideas some time back,
however i was more interested in a folder polaroid (forgot the model name) hack.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:
nice,

do you have costs breakdown maybe aka;

- price of the adapter + 100 pieces instax = ?

- price of 8 rolls 120 film (+ development if you cant do it ur self) = ?

or, where is teh breakeven between your solution and using film (BW should be cheaper)

just curios as i had similar ideas some time back,
however i was more interested in a folder polaroid (forgot the model name) hack.

I haven't looked into the cost of film at all yet. I'm currently not going that deep, but I can see how that will be around the corner.

The back is: https://nonscamera.com/products/nons-instant-back

I believe $279 USD (I'm in Canada)

The equipment is not cheap, $200-400 to get into a Kiev 88 with the kit 80 f2.8 (this isn't supported, but I've slightly modified two Kievs to work), a Hasselblad with it's kit lens of the same specs will set you back at least $1500 I'm guessing, your mileage may vary.

From there, it's open. Just be really careful what road you're going down, there's two mounts for Kiev 88 type cameras, one has Shift lenses (It also has crazy expensive Schneider Glass if you're going to raid the retirement savings fund), the other doesn't. Biggest plus for either Kiev is lots of cheap F2.8 lenses. Biggest downfall is top shutter speed of 1/1000th, no half stop shutter settings. For Hasselblad there's the Leaf Shutter bodies, slow shutter (1/500th), none of the lenses light a fire for me. Then there's the Focal Plane bodies, these are much more interesting for this purpose, faster lenses, adapted lenses, 1/2000th top shutter speed, half stop shutter speeds.

Bulk purchased colour film is $1 a shot. Black and White is more expensive, call it $1.50 (not exactly sure in USD).

Instax is a lot of fun, it's making me enjoy photography again. It is _terrible_ film stock though. ISO 800 (which you need if you ever want to shoot indoors without a flash), but is problematic outdoors if you don't have a fast shutter, f32+ on your lens, or ND filters. Otherwise it's got very little dynamic range, you need to nail the exposure, any scene with dynamic lighting you need to choose if you're exposing for highlights or shadows, and bright points of light go black at the source, so no sun shots, or bulbs (I believe B&W behaves better here).

Why bother? If you enjoy a challenge it's really rewarding, you never have to edit anything, you have physical copies for yourself, or you can give away (I give a lot away).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanx, much more info than i asked for Smile

bulk 120 film? how does that work ...?
spare the back paper every time and then re-use it ..?
cant imagine that hassle ..
but it must be like that many many moons ago.
before where men were men and used film as the real deal for the photography.

adapter: are u aware of a such (or similar) model but for a TLR ?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:
ok thanx, much more info than i asked for Smile

bulk 120 film? how does that work ...?
spare the back paper every time and then re-use it ..?
cant imagine that hassle ..
but it must be like that many many moons ago.
before where men were men and used film as the real deal for the photography.

adapter: are u aware of a such (or similar) model but for a TLR ?

Bulk purchased Instax Square.. just instead of buying 10 - 20 exposures at a time, you get 100 and there's a meaningful discount.

There's only adapters for modular systems, no film back, no adapter. And not all modular systems are suited, or if they are, maybe someone hasn't made one yet.

There are people that load the film manually into a camera in the dark, maybe that's what you're referring to. I don't do that Smile

Mint makes a TLR style Instax camera new. It's got an f5.6 lens however, so it's really only useful for flash, or outdoors.

There are some modified Mamiya TLRs, but I don't believe this is commercially available.