Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron 90 / 2.5. 52BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Tamron 90 / 2.5. 52BB Reply with quote

I love this lens, the 90 length is perfect on the NEX, it's sharp, the colours are superb, it does excellent close focus - even without the X2 converter.
There's a lovely field of old fashioned wild meadow flowers close to me and I can't resist getting in there on a sunny afternoon.
Most of these have had a bit of PP, but nothing more than levels and a tiny bit of sharpening, two are cropped slightly. All are sized.
Shot wide open at 2.5 or down half a stop, ISO 200.

I was also battling with a very strong breeze, so most of these are action shots as well!

I'm using a deep hood on this lens now and I don't get the infamous blue spot unless I really provoke it by having the sun in the picture.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots, Lloyd. I would expect no less from the Tamron 90 macro. I have the original version, the 52B, and it's one of my favorite lenses.

The infamous blue spot has been a non-issue for me, I guess because of the way I use it. Tell us about the deep hood your using. Is it a universal thread-on type? Maybe I should pick up one for my Tamron 90.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots David, I especially like the poppies.

I've tried to buy this lens a few times, but it always attracts a lot of bids and a fairly high price.

After seeing these shots, I think I'll have to increase my budget and get one. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful pictures! It's indeed a wonderful lens ... one of the few that I kept. I also have to say that even though it offers "only" 1:2 macro, I never really found the need for a converter/extension tube (I am mostly taking pictures of flowers etc).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Great shots, Lloyd. I would expect no less from the Tamron 90 macro. I have the original version, the 52B, and it's one of my favorite lenses.

The infamous blue spot has been a non-issue for me, I guess because of the way I use it. Tell us about the deep hood your using. Is it a universal thread-on type? Maybe I should pick up one for my Tamron 90.

I have the original hood which comes with 52bb version and if you want I can tell you on Saturday (need to get back home) how deep it is...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovely pictures.
Same here Ian. This lens never cheap now.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
lovely pictures.
Same here Ian. This lens never cheap now.

I see them selling at the camera fair for about £80 now, there was a brand new, in the box, old stock one that sold for £100 a few weeks ago. I think there was about 4 or 5 on sale from different dealers and they all sold very quickly. I was lucky and got mine in a kit of OM 1 gear.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazing pictures

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great shots! I can see why you like it. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anybody know the shooting conditions which cause the dreaded "hot spot"?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
does anybody know the shooting conditions which cause the dreaded "hot spot"?

Pretty much you have to have the sun or any very bright light in the picture, apparently the cause is the flat rear element of the lens reflecting the sensor, or reflecting on the sensor. It's very much a non event for me, I can usually change the composition slightly to avoid the blue spot. Certainly on the NEX I can see it as it happens on the screen so it's easy to avoid.
Here's two pictures showing what I mean, the first has the sun directly in the frame and the spot is clearly visible. The second I moved very slightly and got the sun behind the trees on the horizon, it's still very bright but the blue spot is minimal, and some PP will fix that. The reputation of the blue spot is really not a reason to not get this lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a discussion about the Tamron's infamous blue spot over at the other manual focus website, which also shows some good examples, with explanations as to how the photographer produced it:

http://forum.manualfocus.org/viewtopic.php?id=9663

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some tests I did a while back:

The spot is a reflection from the flat back element. The size and brightness is dependent on the aperture, so smaller aperture has a smaller brighter dot.(e.g. F32)
At f11, it is faint, so I'd say the dot probably disappears completely by f5.6

My rule of thumb: When shooting in a back light situation, use F5.6 or faster.

At F32

At F16

At F11

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never observed the blue spot...maybe because I don't stop it down more than f/8.

I love that lens...that photo is at MFD at f/8 on a full frame camera, it's just sharp sharp sharp Smile