Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MC MTO-11 (10/1000mm)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: MC MTO-11 (10/1000mm) Reply with quote

Been a while since I've posted, have actually moved to AF for the 100mm-800mm range to try and have a more flexible setup than 6 manual primes. Regardless, still using the MTO 1000mm and love the extra little amount of focus it still takes to use an MF lens like this one. I've been trying for this kind of framing for around 4 years and it finally worked out a few days ago:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well worth the wait!

heres what I took on the same night with my Pentax P&S at 18x zoom. No amount of exposure comp would let me get the moon well exposed. You need it to be lighter in the evening. What settings did you use?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem with the moon is it acts like a spotlight. So during the evening it's really hard to adjust exposure so that everything comes out right. For your pic, correct exposure for the moon would have been 1/125 @ f/8, but the foreground would have been hopelessly lost in shadow. A way to approximate things would be to use fill flash, but often the flash destroys the mood of an evening pic. Maybe shoot with the flash diffused through a few layers of cloth or something . . .

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
well worth the wait!

heres what I took on the same night with my Pentax P&S at 18x zoom. No amount of exposure comp would let me get the moon well exposed. You need it to be lighter in the evening. What settings did you use?

The settings were something like f/10, 1/160sec, ISO640. The difference is that mine was shot at 8:40pm CET, which was actually around 20 minutes before actual sunset. This was also shot from a spot with a clear view of the southeastern horizon so I actually caught the moon just as it was coming up, which dims the light from the moon due to it going through more of the atmosphere.

In your shot it appears you are shooting "up" at the moon, which means that it's definitely far brighter than just after it rises. The only way to get a moon that is higher in the sky to be properly exposed compared to the foreground is for it to be a daytime moon, or if the foreground is lit by extremely bright lights.