Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Has anyone campared Nikon & Olympus 85/2 /?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Has anyone campared Nikon & Olympus 85/2 /? Reply with quote

Has anyone campared Nikkor AI/AIS 85/2 and a version of Olympus OM Zuiko 85/2 ? I am thinking about quality, handling, value. Does the OM worth about twice the price?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all, I think Nikon better Smile I had two times Nikon, sold promptly after test I have Olympus OM 85mm f2.0 best version MC labelled. Nikon simple sold lot more lenses more common item.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both lenses, and used both of them. The Zuiko (I have a late MC version) is definitely a better lens.

Wide open sharpness: the Nikkor is "dreamy", the Zuiko is great.
Colors and contrast: the Zuiko has more contrast wide open; otherwise a tie here.
Close-up performance: the Zuiko incorporates a "floating" elemens correcting for close focusing distances. Nikon only had it in 85/1.4 but not the 85/2.

The Nikkor 85/2 is not much respected among the Nikon crowd; many samples were made, so it can be had inexpensively. The Zuiko is much less commonly found, so it fetches higher prices.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the Nikkor 85/1.8-H and 85/1.8-K and 85/2...
I prefer the 1.8-K over the other two...it has about 1/3 F-stop more contrast wide open than the H and 'seems' to have more contrast than the F2...sorry I have no experience with the Oly...but someday...like the 24/2.8...IT is much better than the old 24/2.8 Nikkor I once had.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both, also nikkor 85/1.8 h, pentax m 85/2. Also prefer the zuiko 85/2 mc.
Nice rending and light weight. Easily use with 5dm2.
The differences are minor. I just like the rending of zuiko better.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have either of these lenses but I do have the smc pentax k 85 1.8 and the tokina at-x 90mm f2.5 and neither of those
are slouches.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention, I had the smc pentax M 85mm f2 for a short while but sold it quickly as it had
really nasty bokeh, I replaced it with the more expensive smc k 85 1.8 instead.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
I forgot to mention, I had the smc pentax M 85mm f2 for a short while but sold it quickly as it had

SMC Pentax-M 85/2 is very similar to the Nikkor 85/2, actually. And both are inferior to the earlier, bigger f/1.8 versions they were intended to replace.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone. I am looking into these two lenses because they seem small and light compared to other 85's. It is curious that 85's from all brands seem to be more expensive compared to other FL. I am also curious about the Jupiter 9 which is also small and priced about the same as the Nikkor. However, buying russian lenses were hit-or-miss experiences for me in the past.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tao wrote:
Thanks to everyone. I am looking into these two lenses because they seem small and light compared to other 85's. It is curious that 85's from all brands seem to be more expensive compared to other FL. I am also curious about the Jupiter 9 which is also small and priced about the same as the Nikkor. However, buying russian lenses were hit-or-miss experiences for me in the past.

If small size is the utmost concern, then check out the smc pentax m 85mm f2.0, it is very small, about the size of a 50mm f1.4

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="aoleg"]
hifisapi wrote:

SMC Pentax-M 85/2 is very similar to the Nikkor 85/2, actually. And both are inferior to the earlier, bigger f/1.8 versions they were intended to replace.[/quot

The same with the minolta 85/2 and the better 85/1,7 (any of the both MC and the different design MD)