Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

OM2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: OM2 Reply with quote

Just won an Olympus Om2 on you know where, needs a light seal repair, which is no great deal, other than that I dont know a great deal about it. Any tips on what to expect of this camera?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

small, light and reliable camera. the exposure metering is quite simple, but accurate enough for B&W negative. the viewfinder is huge. you haven't made bad choice at all;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a fantastic camera, one that makes things easier on photographers. (E.g. forgot to turn the camera on? It still takes an auto exposure!)
Here's a lot of info on the beauty:
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/om2/

A contemporary review I posted
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=37363

And my love letter to OM Smile

http://forum.mflenses.com/the-beauty-of-om-t49437.html

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an OM1n and dreamed of an OM2. The same body. In my opinion a fabulous camera.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had OM2n small... and does job well, you will love it

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my OM1, and surely the OM2 is an improvement ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I love my OM1, and surely the OM2 is an improvement ?

OM1 has mechanically controlled shutter without any sort of auto-exposition, batteries are needed only for exposure meter
OM2 has electro-mechanically controlled shutter with aperture priority mode and manual selection, thus the shutter needs batteries to work

can't say which is better, choice depends on what you prefer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realize that the shutter was different on the OM2. I use my OM1 without a battery and rely on a hand held meter or the NEX for settings, the meter works, I just don't bother.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly cannot complain as it arrived this morning having cost me 29 quid plus postage. It is in better condition than expected, all black, complete with strap, shoe 2, 50 1.7 lens and battery. There is minimal brassing and I do have to replace the light seals, a messy but not difficult job, so all in all I'm quite chuffed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice little camera. If yours is the plain "2" and not a 2n, one of its undocumented features is the ability to take incredibly long low-light exposures. As I dimly recall from reading a magazine article on the subject back in the 1980s, it is achieved by manipulating the ISO setting dial. I believe the OM2's meter reads light off the film, which is why it is able to do this. The OM2n's chip did away with this "feature", however. So this is only possible with the OM-2.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Michael you have 5000 posts! and many thanks of course!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did the repairs go?

I recently inherited an OM2 in rather good condition, at least externally. When unlocking, the mirror didn't "fold out" immediately, even if the shutter opened at once, rather it happened spontaneously a few minutes after.
I really like the feel of it, solid metal, and the little analog meter dial is cool, and yeah the viewfinder is huge (and appears to have a yellow tint..or maybe that's the lens). Am going through a roll of Ilford delta 400, will be interesting to develop. Having just shot APS-C before 35mm is unexpectedly wide Wink

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repairs to the light seals went okay except the mirror buffer which is in 4 very small pieces, but eventually got there. Camera is a delight to use especially with the very bright viewfinder.