Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fast Pulling Competition
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Fast Pulling Competition Reply with quote

I stumbled upon this event while I was on my car headed for the hills: tuned tractors pulling a giant sledge loaded with different weights along a 300 meters lane, the fastest wins.
There are different categories: stock tractors with minimal tuning allowed, tuned tractors, and "prototypes": very old ones heavily modified that reach over 700hp (according to the owner)
I didn't know such competitions were held around here, and I discovered that actually are quite common and very popular in the extreme west of Emilia.
It was really funny, especially because the atmosphere reminded me of those rural fairs in the US midwest that I saw in movie and read about in books: sadly, because of extreme heat, dust, and absolute absence of any kind of shelter from the sun, I couldn't resist more than half an hour.
All these are shot with tele takumar 5.6/200, in not excellent light: despite the extreme heat and strong sun, there was a light haze all around that made the sky grey and distant things foggy.

The first prototype, an old "Same Drago" (an old italian tractor, very common here)

This was the absolute winner in the prototypes class, too bad I can't describe properly the roaring of its engine

The driver had to struggle to keep the front wheels on the ground:

Runner up in the class, an OM 512 R from the late '50s

The track needed to be spraied with water to try and reduce dust:

A cowboy from the Po Valley

Stock tractors category, up to 490hp: the sledge was lightened for this class. New tractors are huge, have air conditioning, but they get nowhere close to the "prototypes" in terms of charm, noise and power.

Then I went on with my short trip:

(tele takumar 5.6/200)

On the background here the artificial lake created by the "Diga del Molato", a big (for its times) dam built by Mussolini
(Mir 24)

(Mir 24)

(Mir 24)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perfect pictures

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, haven't been to a tractor pull in many years.

You have a different selection of vintage tractors then here in Eastern Canada Laughing

EDIT - you mentioned the noise. We lived outside town, and the tractor pull was held at a grandstand on the far edge of town, but we could faintly hear the roar when they were running the "modified " classes,

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last few one without people , tractor are beautiful!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. 3 beautiful scenery!
this is Milan??

i know AC milan, I am a fan. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepes wrote:
perfect pictures

Thanks!

fuzzywuzzy wrote:
Nice, haven't been to a tractor pull in many years.

You have a different selection of vintage tractors then here in Eastern Canada Laughing

EDIT - you mentioned the noise. We lived outside town, and the tractor pull was held at a grandstand on the far edge of town, but we could faintly hear the roar when they were running the "modified " classes,

Back in the days when Italy still had a respectable industrial system, there were many mid-sized companies that produced a large array of different models for the local farmers. My favorites were the old white lamborghinis (yes, same company as the sport cars) that can still be seen in some old farms.

Attila wrote:
Last few one without people , tractor are beautiful!

Thanks Attila. Actually that was the main intent for my short trip, but sadly the mist made most landscape shots quite dull. Must get back to take some proper shots of the dam, which is really good looking in its 1930's style.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kopi234 wrote:
No. 3 beautiful scenery!
this is Milan??

i know AC milan, I am a fan. Very Happy

Thanks.
It's not Milan, it's the countryside 60km south of the city, close but a different world at all.

AC Milan is a very important team, with a great tradition both for victories and quality of game, but I'm not one of their supporters, definitely Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:

Back in the days when Italy still had a respectable industrial system, there were many mid-sized companies that produced a large array of different models for the local farmers. My favorites were the old white lamborghinis (yes, same company as the sport cars) that can still be seen in some old farms.

It's the same over here, there were many farm equipment manufacturers that either went bust or got bought out.

I've seen Cockshutt, Massey Ferguson, Massey Harriss, Ford, Farmall, International, Case, Oliver, White tractors around where I grew up, along with the now pretty universal John Deers.

For a while in the 80s Belarus tractors were quite popular in our region, because of the price.

Kind of like cameras I suppose, lots of mergers and dead-ends.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzywuzzy wrote:

It's the same over here, there were many farm equipment manufacturers that either went bust or got bought out.

I've seen Cockshutt, Massey Ferguson, Massey Harriss, Ford, Farmall, International, Case, Oliver, White tractors around where I grew up, along with the now pretty universal John Deers.

For a while in the 80s Belarus tractors were quite popular in our region, because of the price.

Kind of like cameras I suppose, lots of mergers and dead-ends.

Massey Fergusons were quite common around here since 1930's. IIRC, my grandpa told me that it was the deluxe tractor when he was young, and only the rich farmers owned one. Curiously, the story of this company is repeatedly connected to Italy: They bought Landini (also tractor makers) in the late 1950's, and were acquired by a big group owned by italians in the 90's.
Cockshutt sounds great!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maan, Tractor pulling! I used to watch it on TV before you had to pay for everything. The one you've witnessed is the baby events. The serious ones can have 8 Chevy V8 engines providing the power for a full pull. Search google images for some amazing pics. Like this:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this:

Check out the distortion of that rear tire!

Watch out now! Watch out!

(Gotta get 'em hooked early)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
...And this...

I love the people putting their hands over their ears