Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

EOS 50D and Tamron SP 28-80
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: EOS 50D and Tamron SP 28-80 Reply with quote

I was taken to a little-known and very old graveyard by a new friend recently, and managed to score a couple of shots that I really like.

This cemetery is little-known, and has only recently had a sign placed. It does not show on any local records search.

I will probably return here to capture different seasonal changes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graveyards are often fascinating places, I love the tiny bits of history that you find inscribed on the headstones. And they are visually appealing as well, I love the detail of the stones and iron rails.
Show us more Craig, I enjoy them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great discovery,I hope to see some more as well from this graveyard.You did very well with the first one with the shade and bright light.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you for the encouragement, David and Moira.

I like cemeteries an awful lot for their views, but a problem I've had is finding one with
ornate statuary, such as angels and other iconic figures, even in these sites which date back
as far as the 1840s or even earlier. I keep looking and asking, but nothing such has yet
turned up as a result.

Moira, I heavily edited a couple aspects of that first one at RAW stage: The blacks were jacked up, the exposure
was knocked down, and I added some contrast. The color intensity was also increased.
The image was very overexposed originally, but I liked the framing and subject results enough to process it
for 20 minutes or more.

I wouldn't consider myself a particularly religious person, but something about very large
and monolithic crosses/crucifixes attract me when I'm in a cemetery. This was found in a much larger
and newer burial ground, only a few miles from the first:

The shot was taken while I was lying on my back at the base of the cross; the monument is perhaps 15 to 20 feet(4.5- 6m)tall.

Back to the older cemetery, this one is almost directly out-of-camera.
I only changed white balance from 'as shot' to 'auto' and applied some color saturation.

I like how this view shows a couple of rather old headstones and how they've fared quite well over the years,
but I'm not so pleased with the green light and overall lack of contrast. This one may have to go the B+W or Sepia route.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Craig,
If you managed to "make" that 1st shot with all the PP'ing I think you have done really well.I am glad you persevered with it to get it to that stage.Are you able to get any closer to the headstones...macro etc or close ups of the texture on the headstone or the wording? I have forgotten what lenses you have available.

In our local "modern" cemetery the council has rules in place, that every headstone MUST be of a certain shape and size...how boring for future photographers!

I don't find the green too bad on that last image as I assume it's in the shade? The middle image has some "Pop" to it.