Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 4.5/210
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 4.5/210 Reply with quote

Wondering what kind of lens this is?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Large format lens, it will cover 15x18cm if memory serves me correctly. The Russians copied this to make the Industar-51.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. It is being sold locally and I had never seen it before.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lens for a 4x5 or 5x7 large format camera, but I think you would be much better off with something like a Pentacon 4/200 to use on a digital camera.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Nice lens for a 4x5 or 5x7 large format camera, but I think you would be much better off with something like a Pentacon 4/200 to use on a digital camera.

Your right.
I have not been so satisfied with my Pentacon 4/200 so I am keeping my eyes open for another 200 lens.
The truth is I need a lot more practice and knowledge of how to use the lenses I have properly. Still I keep looking. Perhaps the older Meyer version of the lens or a Jupiter 21M.
I could look at the nice shots others have taken with the Pentacon to get encouragement.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i was not liking my 4/200 pentacon too - now i have a very old compact 6.9/200 Tamron which is very very good an dat least 2 time smaller than the pentacon.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
Yes i was not liking my 4/200 pentacon too - now i have a very old compact 6.9/200 Tamron which is very very good an dat least 2 time smaller than the pentacon.

Thanks for the information. That's pretty small!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentacon 4/200 I had was really good, sharp even wide open with excellent CA control, colours and contrast. However, I can well believe you had inferior copies, QC could be weak in the GDR.

Having tried several disappointing third party 200s, I'd strongly recommend taking one from one of the major makers such as Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Olympus, Konica, Minolta etc.

Or being in the east, maybe a Sonnar 2.8/180 will rear it's head at a good price. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
The Pentacon 4/200 I had was really good, sharp even wide open with excellent CA control, colours and contrast. However, I can well believe you had inferior copies, QC could be weak in the GDR.

Having tried several disappointing third party 200s, I'd strongly recommend taking one from one of the major makers such as Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Olympus, Konica, Minolta etc.

Or being in the east, maybe a Sonnar 2.8/180 will rear it's head at a good price. Smile

Okay, thanks for the advise. Would those include Rollei and Mamiya lenses also?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very much so, the Rolleinar is made by Mamiya and is great, the Mamiya version is the same lens. There is also the Tele-Tessar 3.5/200, which is also seen as a Voigtlander Super-Dynarex, distinctive thing because it is conical in shape.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Very much so, the Rolleinar is made by Mamiya and is great, the Mamiya version is the same lens. There is also the Tele-Tessar 3.5/200, which is also seen as a Voigtlander Super-Dynarex, distinctive thing because it is conical in shape.

Okay, thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also never seen this lens. is very rare.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yahvel wrote:
i also never seen this lens. is very rare.

Depends on what you mean by rare.

Go to http://www.arnecroell.com/publications , click on Carl Zeiss Jena large format lenses 1945-1991 , wait for the pdf to load, and page down to page 8 to see post-1945 production volumes. 21,664 210/4.5 Tessars in barrel, 1,737 in shutter. Many more were made before 1945 by Zeiss, licensees, and, after the original patents expired, copiers.