Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Arsat H 20mm F3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Arsat H 20mm F3.5 Reply with quote

I've had this lens for a while now. It is in Nikon F mount.
I have shot several rolls of films with it and am quite pleased with the results.

The front element is huge and I LOVE the look of this lens. If you look inside the lens on picture 3 you can see the material it is made from has some sort of glitter in it which looks cool. The exterior has flaked of a bit between the aparture ring and the focus ring, but other than that it is in excellent condition.

I can't seem to find any info on this lens though on the web.
Anyone know more about it? Age, history, performance, etc?

Last edited by !Karen on Sun May 01, 2016 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks Russian. glass extends beyond the filter ring. how would you mount a filter on this if you had to?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: ARSAT 3,5/20mm Reply with quote

The ARSAT lenses are produced by ZAVOD Arsenal / Ukraine, same manufacturer as for the KIEV cameras! If assembled properly, especially for military use, the optical/mechanical qualities are not so bad. But the MC coatings have not reached the Western quality standards! The first two numbers of the serial number, are the year of production, and the rest are the number produced!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
looks Russian. glass extends beyond the filter ring. how would you mount a filter on this if you had to?
I don't know, the filter ring is threaded but the threads seem quite big.
There is also no possibility to slide in filters at the back near the mount.

OPAL wrote:
The ARSAT lenses are produced by ZAVOD Arsenal / Ukraine, same manufacturer as for the KIEV cameras! If assembled properly, especially for military use, the optical/mechanical qualities are not so bad. But the MC coatings have not reached the Western quality standards! The first two numbers of the serial number, are the year of production, and the rest are the number produced!

So it is the fifth one made in 1996? Nice Razz Thank you for this info!

Last edited by !Karen on Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was previously known as the MIR 20N. I'm not sure when but, after a re-organisation at the Kiev Arsenal factory, some lenses carrying familiar names such as VOLNA, MIR and HELIOS were offered with the name ARSAT. I don't know if there was a change in quality.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!Karen wrote:
hifisapi wrote:
I don't know, the filter ring is threaded but the threads seem quite big.
There is also no possibility to slide in filters at the back near the mount.

You need a lens hood that had a filter thread in order to put one.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: ARSAT H MC 3,5/20mm Reply with quote

The ARSAT H MC 3,5/20mm lens has an filter thread (visible on the image), I guess 72mm or 77mm!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens with a huge front element is interesting compared to, say, Nikkor 20mm f/3.5 lens, which is quite small.

Some info from the Russian Photohistory site:

http://www.photohistory.ru/1207248187524486.html

If I have understood right, the first prototypes were produced in 1968. KMZ factory manufactured M42 version from 1970 and later a short run K-mount version, Kiev Arsenal factory manufactured Automat- and N (F-mount) versions.

The design is 9 lenses is 8 groups.

The prices in 1985 were 240 roubles for M42 and 325 roubles for N-mount versions. Smile

Native Russian speakers correct me if I´m wrong!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, i never heard of this lens.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you used pudding bowl shape filters on this lens.