Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Weltaflex
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Weltaflex Reply with quote

Herr Doktor Klaus Schmitt found this for me on Germany's ebay and I snapped it up.

Thanks, Klaus!

cover is not in bad shape, needs to have a few seams tacked down

camera is in effective lock-down in cover with straps attached

32mm Ilford hood fits

viewing and taking lenses are the same, note the red 'V' emblazoned on them
signifying multi-coating or perhaps victory, how can I fail? lol

Shutter speeds sound close, goes from 1 second to 1/250th. Apertures work OK,
too.

I think I can reduce that flat spot in the viewing lens, no problem since I won't be
using filters/hood on it. The only glum right now is not being able to lift the magnifier
in the hood, will check online manual. Will take this to the shop Wednesday for
cleaning.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RED V means best coating from Meyer, I bought one locally with better lens, but mine is not works Sad focusing is not accurate.
Look forward your shoots! Congrats!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very beautiful, + 1 on let's see shots soon!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A beauty indeed Bill, can't wait to see what you do with it. A nice TLR is one I need to add to my collection, being a Brit, an Mpp Microcord appeals to me strongly.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys, hope to have something by the weekend, will run a
BW roll, otherwise I'd be waiting 10-14 days from Fuji.

Attila thanks for the correction, probably euphoric to think the Red V is
equivalent to the Red T Zeiss coating, but I have Red V Primotar 50 I
won't part with, even though it's slow at f3.5.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to add, Ian, it was years ago I saw a group of photos from a Microcord that knocked me out
of my chair. Went to ebay to see if any such were available, nope. Hope you can locate one!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be easy to adjust focus on such a simple camera.

The US-made Certo/Graflex is very similar.

Focus is adjusted using a groundglass (a plastic one is perfect) on the film gate, and adjusting the viewing lens until infinity on the groundglass on the flm gate matches infinity on the viewing groundglass.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To adjust the focus of the Weltaflex, you must first ensure that the lens focuses correctly below: http://feuerbacher.net/photo/repair/InfinityFocus/InfinityFocus.html You can see the method I have followed.

If this is right, I tell him how I've gotten the image is focused on the screen:

Place the camera on a tripod and point to an object with the focus knob on the infinity position.

The outer ring of the focusing lens serves to lock the lens position, loosening the outer ring can you adjust the lens until the distant image appears focused on the focusing screen. Then tighten the outer ring.

To remove the focus loupe is to push it slightly to the left (seen from behind the camera).

I hope that despite Google's translation, this has been helpful. Regards.

PD: Anyone know where I can find a lens cap for this camera? The lenses are 32mm. in diameter. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for adjusting tipp! Bill, Primotar 50 is a damn fine lens and Primotar 80 too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Forgot to add, Ian, it was years ago I saw a group of photos from a Microcord that knocked me out
of my chair. Went to ebay to see if any such were available, nope. Hope you can locate one!

They are common in the UK, but command decent prices and many are faulty, they are notorious for being a bit fragile.

The 75mm Xpress they use is very highly regarded, made by Ross but assembled and collimated by MPP.

I would also love a Selfix 820 6x9, it has a 105mm Xpress that was designed to beat the German competition and is supposed to be really stellar.

If you want a Microcord sometime, I would be more than happy to help you find one and relay it across the pond.

I second the Primotar 50 recommendation, I have a beauty with the red V and it's a stunning lens imho, I use it a lot on my NEX.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, thanks for the kind offer, but I'm set for now. Attila is assembling the Werra kit which will
be great to use!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aah, the Werra, you will enjoy that. I have the Tessar and Cardinar Werra lenses, I use them on NEX as I made an adapter out of a broken Werra.

I still need to find a werra and the flektogon to complete my set.

Cardinar wide open on NEX:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, talk about 'color shift' love it! Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'd just had it died for charity to raise money for the local hospital. The NEX in Vivid mode is rather erm... vivid! lol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raising money for the hospital? So that would be an herbal cigarette, then. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lambert and Butler probably... Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Cardinar wide open on NEX:

I hate to say it, but that Cardinar has severe purple fringing wide open on the NEX. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Worst I've seen!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, if you got the lens from Attila, maybe you could get a refund! Laughing

Good one, Jussi! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm keeping it for shooting clowns and other such folks... Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila made me a little nervous that I might have the same focusing issue with this, so hurriedly shot a test
roll today, a few:

f3.5 wide open, yup triplet soft

f16, about 4 feet focus area

ad infinitum, f16, passed the flare test

Fomapan 100 @160, Rodinal stand 1:125, 60 mins, 20C, 3 inversions at 30 minutes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. Looks like a nice sharp lens stopped down. Performs like my Ludwig Meritar triplet of the same age.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'm very happy about the no-flare issue. The Yashica-A is a raging flare-monkey on that
tunnel shot. Still love the camera, tho.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I see no flare either and the tunnel shot has an impressive range of tones and detail in both highlights and shadows, well done!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I think Rodinal stand for an hour will work well when you get the Fomapan 100. Certainly
an easy/cheap way to dev.

Dunno if my fixer is getting tired or if this is the start of bromide drag, one more pic from the roll:

only appeared in this frame with the sky