Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokyo Kogaku - information please.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Tokyo Kogaku - information please. Reply with quote

There have been many posts on the forum about Topcor RE lenses and their desirability.
There are also Tokyo Kogaku lenses, presumably from the same manufacturer.
Some questions for whoever might know......
Would it be correct to assume that anything branded Tokyo Kogaku would be older than the Topcor/Topcon products?
Has anyone experienced using any of the older(?) Tokyo Kogaku lenses, and in particular the longer telephotos.
What mounts do they usually have on the back - bayonet, M42?
Any other information would also be appreciated.
Many thanks
OH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read here: http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Tōkyō_Kōgaku

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Read here: http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Tōkyō_Kōgaku

Thanks for that.
I had done some research before asking the question and had discovered this web link.
Unless I've missed it, I didn't see any reference to lenses branded Tokyo Kogaki.
Plenty of Topcon/Topcor, Simlar, Toko etc but I can't find any branded Tokyo Kogaki
This is the image that has aroused my curiosity:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens you show is the Topcon 20cm f4.0 R.Topcor.

Check this site:
http://captjack.exaktaphile.com/LesserJapanpage.htm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gratias Calvin.
It would appear to be made for Exakta mount cameras then.
Does anyone have experience of this lens.
Much appreciated
OH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the Tokyo Kogaku on the lens cap only or on the nameplate too?

Looks like manufacturer done some compromise with the names for a third party lens? (I mean third party from Exacta view.)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Gratias Calvin.
Much appreciated
OH

Many long years ago I used a Topcon SLR for awhile. Tokyo Kogaku and Topcon are the same company and I believe TK lenses are older - it's just the name on the front ring that changed at some point. The Topcon focal plane shutter SLRs and Exacta SLRs shared the same mount and I am not aware of those Topcon (or TK) lenses being made in any other mount. Of course I am leaving the Topcor UV lenses, meant for Topcon's leaf shutter SLRs, out of the equation. It's been over 20 years since I held a Topcon in my hands and I may be wrong, but this is how I remember it. Topcon made great quality glass by the way.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

konicamera wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
Gratias Calvin.
Much appreciated
OH

Many long years ago I used a Topcon SLR for awhile. Tokyo Kogaku and Topcon are the same company and I believe TK lenses are older - it's just the name on the front ring that changed at some point. The Topcon focal plane shutter SLRs and Exacta SLRs shared the same mount and I am not aware of those Topcon (or TK) lenses being made in any other mount. Of course I am leaving the Topcor UV lenses, meant for Topcon's leaf shutter SLRs, out of the equation. It's been over 20 years since I held a Topcon in my hands and I may be wrong, but this is how I remember it. Topcon made great quality glass by the way.

Thank you for the information.
Much appreciated.

Is the Tokyo Kogaku on the lens cap only or on the nameplate too?

Not sure yet.
I will let you know.

Thanks all
OH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not familiar with these present topcor lenses but you may refer to here http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladenla/sets/72157629817825772/ .

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the most definitive site about Topcon cameras , lens and origins is at the Topcon Club Japan website, if you can tolerate the google transaltion it`s worth a browse, info on the 20cm 4 is here..

http://www003.upp.so-net.ne.jp/Topconclub/lens2.htm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Macca and Calvin.
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Topcor R 135/3.5 preset
It's a great little lens, I'm using it on my NEX-7 and getting sharp results wide open.
Shot wide open in low light:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 200/5.6 RE and while it is quite good, it is of course too slow. I have the 300/5.6 R as well and it is a stinker, although there are fungus issues.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The black R series are older than the RE series, but just as good.

I love the RE 5.6/200, not too slow at all and it's sharper wide open at 5.6 than just about any faster 200 is when closed to 5.6.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Topcor Reply with quote

All of the Tokyo Kogaku lenses for the Exakta-mount Topcon cameras are branded "Topcor". Older lens caps have the company name, "Tokyo Kogaku", newer lens caps say "Topcon".

The various series were:

R. Topcor: Preset lenses (90/4, 135/3.5, 135/2, 200/4, 300/5.6, 300/2.8)
Auto-Topcor: Auto-diapraghm lenses for Topcon R, with external shutter button to control stop-down (35/2.8, 58/1.8, 100/2.8)
F. Auto-Topcor: Auto-diaphragm lenses for Topcon R-II and R-III, with lever on back to control stop-down (35/2.8, 58/1.8, 100/2.8, 135/3.5)
RE. Auto-Topcor: Auto-diaphragm lenses with full-aperture through-the-lens metering for Topcon RE Super and RE-2. (Focal lengths from 20mm to 500mm.)
RE Topcor: Lenses made by Cima Kogaku with same features as RE. Auto-Topcor, but of lower cost and quality, for the "Topcon" RE200 and RE300 cameras. Cima Kogaku made these lenses in many other mounts, sold under many brand names, including their own Cimko brand.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: Topcor Reply with quote

John Shriver wrote:
All of the Tokyo Kogaku lenses for the Exakta-mount Topcon cameras are branded "Topcor". Older lens caps have the company name, "Tokyo Kogaku", newer lens caps say "Topcon".

The various series were:

R. Topcor: Preset lenses (90/4, 135/3.5, 135/2, 200/4, 300/5.6, 300/2.Cool
Auto-Topcor: Auto-diapraghm lenses for Topcon R, with external shutter button to control stop-down (35/2.8, 58/1.8, 100/2.Cool
F. Auto-Topcor: Auto-diaphragm lenses for Topcon R-II and R-III, with lever on back to control stop-down (35/2.8, 58/1.8, 100/2.8, 135/3.5)
RE. Auto-Topcor: Auto-diaphragm lenses with full-aperture through-the-lens metering for Topcon RE Super and RE-2. (Focal lengths from 20mm to 500mm.)
RE Topcor: Lenses made by Cima Kogaku with same features as RE. Auto-Topcor, but of lower cost and quality, for the "Topcon" RE200 and RE300 cameras. Cima Kogaku made these lenses in many other mounts, sold under many brand names, including their own Cimko brand.

Thanks John.
So do the older Tokyo Kogaku lenses have Exakta mount, M42 or other?
OH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All are Exakta mount apart from the last series made by Cimko, those are in PK mount and are best ignored because they are a long way behind the real Topcons in quality.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
All are Exakta mount apart from the last series made by Cimko, those are in PK mount and are best ignored because they are a long way behind the real Topcons in quality.

Gratias
OH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also LTM(M39) RF lenses, I have a silver Topcor-S 50/2, its a nice lens, as solidly built as my silver Canon 50/1.8,
There are also a couple black versions of the 50/2, same with the 50/3.5, & a 35/2.8, a collapsible 50/3.5
There may be more but that's all I've seen while browsing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Topcon made some LTM lenses too, I forget how many now, but I'm sure there are a few more than the 50mm.