Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

DYI Shift lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: DYI Shift lens Reply with quote

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with home-brew shift lenses? I've been toying with the idea of making my own shift (not tilt!) lens for a while now. I would like to mount it on a Konica film SLR, which has a very short F/F distance (40.5mm). I thought if I used a third-party 28mm lens made for Nikon (probably the industry's longest F/F distance, with 46.5mm) that would give me room to work out some form of sliding contraption. Of course, the easiest way of getting sch a lens is to buy a T/S Nikkor and mount it using the Nikon to Konica adapter made by Konica. But I am interested in the challenge and saving some $$, as the T/S Nikkors cost an arm and a leg. Any great ideas out there?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be easier with a medium format lens?
You'd have more margin both for the sliding part, being register distance longer, both for the shift movement, because of the bigger coverage.
A decent medium format lens can cost very little.
No cheap wide angles, though.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
Wouldn't it be easier with a medium format lens?
You'd have more margin both for the sliding part, being register distance longer, both for the shift movement, because of the bigger coverage.
A decent medium format lens can cost very little.
No cheap wide angles, though.

I thought of this and, indeed, I would have much more to work with in terms of F/F distance. But I mostly want such a contraption for architectural photography and was thinking of a 28mm f3.5 lens, or at most a f2.8. The reason for this is that I want a rear optical element of a diameter allowing for as much side travel as possible. I suspect that with a medium format lens that travel would be relatively short. There is also the question of the cost of a 28mm equiv. MF wide angle lens, the matter of size/weight and, of course, the challenge. Smile If at all possible, I would like to stick to 35mm format.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a coincidence! Right now I am working at a DIY shift adapter!
But it is not for a SLR camera. It is for using any FF SLR lens as a shift lens on APSC (Sony NEX). It is a half-done work at this moment and in the next days I'll probably make a post about it.
I have adapted a front shift lens standard from an old 6x9 folding camera and transformed it into a shift lens adapter wich can accept different mounts.

Last edited by dan_ on Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:24 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:56 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
@Konicamera

As written above, you will need a lens that illuminates a larger format, otherwise you will get strong vignetting or dark corners.

For an aps sensor ff gives you some shift but mf will yield distinctly more.

There are also ww zoom lenses that change the circle of illumination while zooming. The largest is always at the highest zoom level.
There are not many manual ww zooms around. The old Nikon Af 18-35 3,5 -4.5 D comes to my mind. At 18 it is a tight ff at 35 a very generous one.

I didn't think of the vignetting issue. This would seem to imply that 35mm format T/S lenses have an image circle that is much greater than regular 35mm lenses. Is this correct?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Vignetting is an issue. Like others have said, you'd want a larger format lens for T&S.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BendyCam, first version:

I have now a 35mm ready to be adapted, but now I'll try on my Pen - there is more room due to short registration distance.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enzodm wrote:
BendyCam, first version:

I have now a 35mm ready to be adapted, but now I'll try on my Pen - there is more room due to short registration distance.

how the hell did you get an innertube over those.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect boiling water would be involved.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:

how the hell did you get an innertube over those.

Maybe the size helped. I did not do anything special, except being patient Wink. However, as is it is difficult to avoid vignetting, and I never had time to do something better. The objective is a Tominon 105/4.5 taken from a Polaroid scientific camera.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inventive, but that is a tilt lens, not a shift one.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked out the pic of my Granddad's camera?
Note the front mounting, it looks quite easy to replicate for a shift lens.