Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica AR lens on Canon EOS - Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Konica AR lens on Canon EOS - Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience with this? I'm aware of the potential issues with an additional rear element to allow infinity focus; very curious to know how much damage it does to IQ.

http://fotodioxpro.com/index.php/fotodiox-pro-lens-mount-adapter-for-konica-ar-lens-to-canon-eos-camera-lens-mount-adapter.html

Thanks.

Last edited by tej on Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:02 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pasting link again because for some reason the formatting of the original message doesn't work unless I do:

http://fotodioxpro.com/index.php/fotodiox-pro-lens-mount-adapter-for-konica-ar-lens-to-canon-eos-camera-lens-mount-adapter.html

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forum's anti-spam measure blocks links and pictures on a first-time post, it's not your fault. Wink

I've never used one of these adapters, I stay away from adapters with glass elements because the quality of that glass is often in doubt. Sad

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying about the link - I was well on my way to drawing unflattering conclusions about the site admins. Wink

Yes, the glass quality is what concerns me. I have virtually a complete set of the best Konica primes, and had long ago nearly given up on the idea of being able to use them on a digital camera until a few days ago when I happened across a reference to the Sony Nex adapter. Now I'm thinking I may sell my Canon digital gear to make the shift, but want to investigate options first.

I used to have a Konica 2x extension that worked reasonably well, at least with longer lenses, but I'm sure they were much more careful with the design than an aftermarket extension manufacturer.

I probably won't do anything drastic until I hear definitively whether the rumored (or can we say anticipated?) new full-frame Nex will take the Konica adapter. If it does, well, there is a god after all.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
The forum's anti-spam measure blocks links and pictures on a first-time post, it's not your fault. Wink

I've never used one of these adapters, I stay away from adapters with glass elements because the quality of that glass is often in doubt. Sad

The glass element is removable, they say it's necessary for infinity focus, though. I'm getting on of these for my 60D, I'll report back on how well it works.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use several brands of M42 to Nikon including this make and the results are all the same - soft at wide apertures (edges) and infinitely better at 2 stops down.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Javamoose wrote:
The glass element is removable, they say it's necessary for infinity focus, though. I'm getting on of these for my 60D, I'll report back on how well it works.

Thanks - that will be much appreciated.

Yes, the presence of the glass element is to allow infinity focus. Konica used a shorter lens-mount-to-film-plane distance than the other major makers, which is why direct mounting with infinity focus on other 35mm systems was impossible: the lens can't get close enough to the film without drastic action (i.e., grinding off ~3mm of the barrel).

Of course, a full-frame NEX would change everything.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the adapter in today. I only buy fotodiox adapters because I like their quality, and this one seems to be really well built as expected. My Hexanons all lock in secure, no shimmy or wiggle. My 60D won't be here for a few more days, as soon as I get the chance I will test it out and post back. I'm going to lock it on a tripod and shoot one shot with glass in and one without, will post full-res crops. Be interesting to see if the lens effects quality at all (I'm hoping it doesn't).

tej wrote:
Javamoose wrote:

Thanks - that will be much appreciated.

Yes, the presence of the glass element is to allow infinity focus. Konica used a shorter lens-mount-to-film-plane distance than the other major makers, which is why direct mounting with infinity focus on other 35mm systems was impossible: the lens can't get close enough to the film without drastic action (i.e., grinding off ~3mm of the barrel).

Of course, a full-frame NEX would change everything.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Javamoose wrote:
Got the adapter in today. I only buy fotodiox adapters because I like their quality, and this one seems to be really well built as expected. My Hexanons all lock in secure, no shimmy or wiggle. My 60D won't be here for a few more days, as soon as I get the chance I will test it out and post back. I'm going to lock it on a tripod and shoot one shot with glass in and one without, will post full-res crops. Be interesting to see if the lens effects quality at all (I'm hoping it doesn't).

Any updates?