Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which xxx adapters to M42 do you know?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Which xxx adapters to M42 do you know? Reply with quote

I need help to find adapters for M42-mount.

Are there adapters for

- Nikon to M42
- Olympus to M42
-C/Y to M42
-T2 to M42
- xxx to M42

out there?

Greetings

Bernhard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer questions like this, I just go to eBay and do a search. Chances are, if the adapter exists, there will be one on eBay. If the search turns up zero listings, I will also do a search on Completed Listings.

A cursory search turned up this example:

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
To answer questions like this, I just go to eBay and do a search. Chances are, if the adapter exists, there will be one on eBay. If the search turns up zero listings, I will also do a search on Completed Listings.

A cursory search turned up this example:

Click here to see on Ebay

Do remember look at the description carefully:
Quote:
it isn't able to focus infinity

M42 is is very easy to be adapted to other mount but not vice versa. Generally, the most commonly used adapter for M42 mount are Pentacon Six/KIEV 60, Adaptall 2 and T2 to M42 adapter if you want to preserve infinity focus.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use this list of lens mounts, which is sorted by flange focal distance. Find your camera in the list. Adapters permitting infinity focus can be made for lenses from any of the cameras listed below yours, i.e., for adapting those lenses from cameras which have a longer flange focal distance than your camera.

Lenses from cameras listed above yours, i.e., with flange focal distance less than your camera, might be adaptable, but infinity focus will be impossible.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also problem is that some that have same register distance (like PK and C/Y) are just larger mounts than m42.

edit: Nikon, Olympus and Leica R could theoretically be converted to m42 .. but sound crazy
http://www.flickr.com/groups/m42/discuss/72157629739617773/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've converted some lenses to M42 by replacing the original mount with M42. This can usually be done non-destructively, i.e., the original mount can be restored later if desired, so in that sense it's possible to “adapt” many mounts to M42 (I've done C/Y, OM, Minolta MC and Nikon F)… But with a simple adapter it's usually even theoretically impossible (while maintaining infinity focus) because the diameter of M42 is smaller than that of most bayonet mounts.

So out of the small format mounts only those intended to be adapted (T-mount, Adaptall-2, etc) can be done with an adapter, and then you can do medium and large format lenses since there is enough difference in register to have room.

But, for DIY the M42 mount is a very nice target since it can be further adapted to almost every digital system except Nikon, and the parts are very cheap and easy to find. I've even converted some cameras to be used as M42 lenses; the difference in register is great enough that I could do this without any permanent alteration of the camera, which makes this much friendlier toward the vintage cameras than cutting off the lenses done by many others.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:

..But, for DIY the M42 mount is a very nice target since it can be further adapted to almost every digital system except Nikon

And many of them can be done too