Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Your experience with EOS adapters
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Your experience with EOS adapters Reply with quote

I'm looking at ebay vendors for adapters to mount various lenses to my EOS 5D MkII. I see Roxsen and Big_Is are attractively priced...

I'd like to hear of your experience with these and others. I have lenses in T2, M-42, Nikon F, Contax-Yashica, Olympus OM, Topcon RE Auto and Leicaflex SL mount.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Your experience with EOS adapters Reply with quote

casualcollector wrote:
I'm looking at ebay vendors for adapters to mount various lenses to my EOS 5D MkII. I see Roxsen and Big_Is are attractively priced...

I'd like to hear of your experience with these and others. I have lenses in T2, M-42, Nikon F, Contax-Yashica, Olympus OM, Topcon RE Auto and Leicaflex SL mount.

Big_IS has a good rep around here.

I can say I've used his EF-M42 and EF-CY adapters with no problems, i.e. lenses reach infinity and I've never had a lens fall off the camera or anything.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These days I look at two things: the adapter itself, to see if it is made the way I want, and whether or not the vendor is in the USA. I'm tired of having to wait a month for my adapter, or whatever the cheap Chinese accessory happens to be. I realize that this latter point doesn't apply to folks in other countries, but still, if you can find a vendor who's local to you, you will sure get the part a lot faster than you will if you have to wait for it coming from China.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I use to buy from both of them. For bigger lenses, it's best to get the brass model: seems to be stronger than the alu version. If price is a concern or you have a certain quantity to buy, my bet would be to get the brass model from big_is and the alu from Roxsen.

[]s,

Renato

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a big topic if you want details into each types of adapters. To make it simple, the cheap EOS M42, OM adapter willworks fine except they will not give exact infinity focus. For Topcon RE(a variant of Exakta), you could try the Big_IS balck one they sell now but not all lens will mount securely. The Nikon F adapter varies but a good one is needed for large and heavy lens.

If you do not mind pay little bit more, I would recommend this render. No complain from any members here about the quality so far.
http://stores.ebay.com/yeenon-china

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for brass adapters

I like Big_IS M42-EOS brass adapter. Click here to see on Ebay I also like its AF Confirm chip features.

The AF Chip included is another factor to consider -- some chips have features that may be more suited to usage style than others.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

bought 2 adapters lately from this seller, based in Germany. One for C/Y and the other for M42, all to work with a Canon 1Ds. Working great

Click here to see on Ebay

edit : link got screwed. seller shop is fotohobbyshop

Last edited by hexi on Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for Big_Is, excellent adapters.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the silver finish big_is brass M42 adapters.

I got some black finish brass from big_is, too, but they are slightly to thin, so the lenses will focus past infinity. (about 0.05-0.1mm missing)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoilerhead wrote:
+1 for the silver finish big_is brass M42 adapters.

I got some black finish brass from big_is, too, but they are slightly to thin, so the lenses will focus past infinity. (about 0.05-0.1mm missing)

Have you measured, by any chance, the difference in flange thickness between these two adapters? Reason why I ask is because I want to convert my Canon FL 55/1.2 to EOS mount non-destructively. The easiest way to do this is to use an M42-EOS adapter and reduce the thickness of the flange by about 0.025" -- as I recall. I need to check my notes to be sure. If I can start off with an adapter that already has a thinner flange, this is just that much less material I need to mill off to get it to work.

I've seen these black adapters and assumed they were aluminum, which I wasn't interested in because I think of them as being too weak. But brass would be okay, I suppose.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FL 1.2/55 one is more difficult convert and I even have a badly converted copy. Sad You may know this site but it is a good start if you want to do the conversion: http://www.bigeye.url.tw/big5/d_ca55_12_3.htm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm, maybe if I could read Chinese I could make sense out of why that guy felt he had to dismantle the lens. My wife's Chinese, maybe she'll help.

Actually, you don't need to go to that much trouble at all. There are basically two ways to do it. All you have to do is take off the breechlock mounting assembly (remove a small screw and the whole assembly just unscrews) and drop a M42 adapter in place where it used to be. Drill three holes in the adapter for the mounting screws and screw the adapter in place.

Way 1) On the adapter, you have to reduce its flange thickness by a certain amount -- about 0.025" as I recall (I need to look at my notes). The biggest problem with this method is the flange becomes rather thin. However, this is the method that Ed Mika uses, although his is designed to also replace the spacer I believe (see below).

Way 2) Instead of reducing the adapter's thicness, reposition the focusing stop for the lens group on the focusing helical. Here's a thread I found at another set of forums where the guy describes this procedure:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/686892/0

Depending on what all's involved in relocating the stop for the helical, this might be the least time consuming method.

I tried the first method a couple of weeks ago, and found out that my milling machine is out of tram. It was cutting more material off the item at the front of the vise than at the rear. I ruined the adapter. So before I try this again, I need to retram the mill's head. Hopefully that won't be too difficult.

The only other thing that needs to be done is to fit a spacer between the flange and the A-M ring. I believe one guy I read about used a body cap for this -- trimming away everything but just enough for a spacer. Basically, it's just a ring the same diameter as the lens barrel about 1mm thick. It keeps the A-M ring from moving around. I'm thinking that if I can find a thin O-ring -- thin enough so that it isn't binding against the A-M ring -- this would work as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. Google translate works OK but you can let me know if you are not sure certain step(s). I think a mix of step one and two may be the best solution: You can adjust three focusing stop screws(mark the initial position first) after you trim the adapter.

P.S. This lens will hit the mirror of FF Canon DSLR.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way 1) On the adapter, you have to reduce its flange thickness by a certain amount -- about 0.025" as I recall (I need to look at my notes). The biggest problem with this method is the flange becomes rather thin. However, this is the method that Ed Mika uses, although his is designed to also replace the spacer I believe (see below).

Actually my trick is that I found the right kind of screws imported from Japan that have small enough heads that they do not have to sit below the main Camera/lens face plane. They are inside enough that they can hold the thicker inner ring portion which gives enough thickness for a solid hold. This way there is no messing around with any spacers or anything and the original lens is not modified in any way allowing for a reverse conversion in the future. The video in the listing shows just how easy the conversion is with my mount.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/EdMika-Canon-FL-55mm-1-2-EOS-brass-conversion-kit-/170785828179?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item27c3a0ed53&_uhb=1

I don't know about you but mucking around with generic adapters and a lathe for hours to end up with a probably not very clean looking converted lens solution vs. the 135 bucks my kit costs shipped worldwide seems a no-brainer. Also depending on focus stop calibration you can reach infinity and just clear the slightly lower profile 5D3 mirror with the converted FL55 as well as clear with all the 1D series bodies with the metal mirror frames.

cheers-Ed Mika

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, if I wasn't so dang poor all the time, I'd be first in line to buy one of your adapters. I only paid $50 for my FL 55/1.2.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Ed, if I wasn't so dang poor all the time, I'd be first in line to buy one of your adapters. I only paid $50 for my FL 55/1.2.

I've got to find the places that people get lenses cheap because I sure do buy a lot of them and I've never seen an FL55/1.2 for less than 180. A guy I know of even picked up an 800/5.6L at a garage sale for 5 bucks once.