Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which speedbooster I should buy?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Which speedbooster I should buy? Reply with quote

Hi!
I like to have a speedboster for Minolta MD Rokkor 50/1.4 and Samyang 85/1.4 Sony A Mount but I don't like to buy two speedboosters.
Which one would you buy? A speed booster with Sony A-Mount or an speed booster with Minolta SR(MD) Mount?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems obvious to me that the one to get will be the one that will be most useful. The choices to me are academic since I don't own a Minolta mf SLR or a Sony Alpha, so neither would be my choice. Cool I'm afraid this is the sort of question that only you can answer. But I guess I would approach it like this.

Which is the more expensive lens? The Samyang 85, probably by a significant amount. So I would buy a Speedbooster for the Alpha mount. And check into how difficult it would be to convert the Minolta 50 over to Sony Alpha mount. Or else just buy an old Minolta 50/1.4 AF lens, which will probably be just as good optically as the mf one, if not better because of improved coatings, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar problem. Adapting between the two minolta mounts adds glass, add that to the speedbooster's glass and you will get mediocre results to say the least.

I have decided to get an MD mount meaning I can use my 21mm lens and any M42 with an adapter.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
I have a similar problem. Adapting between the two minolta mounts adds glass, add that to the speedbooster's glass and you will get mediocre results to say the least.

I have decided to get an MD mount meaning I can use my 21mm lens and any M42 with an adapter.

I suppose I should have been more clear. When I refer to "converting" a lens to another mount, I'm not referring to using an adapter. I'm talking about physically changing the lens mount so that it will mount to the Alpha as if it were intended to, with no intervening glass, yet retaining infinity focus. I don't know how difficult this sort of conversion is for the Alpha. I do know that Minolta SR/MC/MD lenses can be converted to EOS mount but that it is a rather tricky and involved procedure. The reason why I recommended just buying an AF Minolta 50/1.4 was because it will mount natively and probably would cost less than what you'd have to pay to have somebody else do the conversion for you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps i missed something here but the topic is entitled ' Which speedbooster I should buy?'

A speedbooster is an adapter for the NEX camera (E-Mount) or Micro4/3 camera allowing you to use other lenses (like a normal adapter) but with an optical element to change the sensor coverage to that of (approximately) full frame and making the effective aperture larger.

check out speedbooster here http://www.metabones.com/buy-speed-booster

I am unaware of a non optical speedbooster for the A mount. It would seem pointless, as you point out, the lens you have will work well with the camera you have.