Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Snake bit on Hexanon 28mm f3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Snake bit on Hexanon 28mm f3.5 Reply with quote

In my view all the various versions of this lens are good. Period.

Still, when you can score a 7 element lens it's nice. So I brought in a nice one that only goes up to f16. I know the f22 versions are five element lenses. The lens had just a tiny spot of fungus and I had set it aside.

Yesterday I went after the fungus. Taking the lens apart I discovered just five elements. Sad

Oh, well. Some you win, some you lose. Sometimes you get the bear. Sometimes the bear gets you.

What annoys me is that I don't know how, when one of these lenses only goes to f16, to spot the seven element version. I think most of the f16 lenses have seven elements . . . . . but not all. What is the "tell"?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, the reflection color help. The pale one, 7 elements. The multicolored, the 5.

The front element is higher in the 7 elements.

And the better way, the 7 elements has 14 reflection images, the 5 only 10.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you count all the reflections in a 3,5/28?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Snake bit on Hexanon 28mm f3.5 Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
In my view all the various versions of this lens are good. Period.

Still, when you can score a 7 element lens it's nice. So I brought in a nice one that only goes up to f16. I know the f22 versions are five element lenses. The lens had just a tiny spot of fungus and I had set it aside.

Yesterday I went after the fungus. Taking the lens apart I discovered just five elements. Sad

Oh, well. Some you win, some you lose. Sometimes you get the bear. Sometimes the bear gets you.

What annoys me is that I don't know how, when one of these lenses only goes to f16, to spot the seven element version. I think most of the f16 lenses have seven elements . . . . . but not all. What is the "tell"?

The all metal EE series type should be the lens you are looking for.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Snake bit on Hexanon 28mm f3.5 Reply with quote

Bille wrote:

The all metal EE series type should be the lens you are looking for.

+1. If you want to make sure that you are getting a 7 element lens, look for the one with the splined metal focus ring.

That's guaranteed to have 7 elements. I guess the question was whether one can reliably tell if a rubber focus ring version has 7 or 5 elements.

I don't know a definite answer to that, my feeling is that the ridged ring between the aperture ring and DOF scale (you can see a red triangle on that ring) indicates the desired version, but I wouldn't bet on that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randreev wrote:
Can you count all the reflections in a 3,5/28?

}
It's useful for almost all the lenses, the Leica colectors used it, at least when I was one of them.

You have to separate the lens in two parts. And count the reflections. For this put a light source in front of the lens. If you can´t separate the lens, close the apertures and count like I tell you before.

Each element no cemented, two reflections. It's easy.

Two elements cemented, three reflections.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Snake bit on Hexanon 28mm f3.5 Reply with quote

fermy wrote:

I guess the question was whether one can reliably tell if a rubber focus ring version has 7 or 5 elements.

I don't know a definite answer to that, my feeling is that the ridged ring between the aperture ring and DOF scale (you can see a red triangle on that ring) indicates the desired version, but I wouldn't bet on that.
I have this version. Weights 215grams on my cheap scale - my 5 element Hexanon is 177grams. I chose this as my target on ebay because it has 5 rows of 'diamonds' on the focus rubber. Both the Hexar version and the 5 element Hexanon version only has 3.

I'm interested in seeing a picture of the lens that guardian has, and also what weight it has.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I appreciate all the replies. But I have to apologize to everyone: I have experienced a "senior moment".

The lens I was working on was, in reality, one of my Hexanon 50mm f1.7s, not a 28mm. I was confused and I made a mistake in what I posted, above.

I did have the Hexanon 28mm issue hit me earlier and it was on my mind. I'm well aware the metal lenses are all seven element. And I know the f22 lenses are five element. But apparently there was a crossover point somewhere and some five element f16 lenses got out. They have the rubber grip. It's tough for buyers because there is usually not opportunity to weigh the lens or to count reflections.

I can't say I regret my error because the idea of counting reflections is new to me and I never would have learned about it had I not screwed up. I think it's a pretty cool idea and one I would not have thought of on my own. Smile

ETA

In my view the diamond counting approach is workable and good. This provided, of course, that it offers an accurate indication of the number of elements.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Snake bit on Hexanon 28mm f3.5 Reply with quote

This is I think identical to mine, but when ever I use it, I'm very disappointed with the results, I don't know if it's a dud or if my technique is flawed, same with my matching 100/2.8 AR EE but I don't have issues with other 28 & 100mm lenses, so what gives? Just bad luck?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Snake bit on Hexanon 28mm f3.5 Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:

This is I think identical to mine, but when ever I use it, I'm very disappointed with the results, I don't know if it's a dud or if my technique is flawed, same with my matching 100/2.8 AR EE but I don't have issues with other 28 & 100mm lenses, so what gives? Just bad luck?

Well it depends on why you are disappointed, as at minimum you should be getting very good results stopped down, and a few years ago these were a hidden gem for under £15....I've two later Hexanon 28mm f3.5 and I'm never disappointed on a film camera.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the 7-element version to look for and mine weighs 213 grams without caps.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guardian,

Both Hexanons shown on the photos before my post are of the 7/7 variety. The first, (splined focusing ring) was made from 1970 to the end of 1973, and the second (rubber covered focusing ring) from early 1973 to the end of 1978. The weight difference between the two is only 3g (213g vs 210g). The two versions with an aluminum ring that came before those two were also of the same construction and also weighed 213g. Konica's only 28mm lenses with a 5 element construction are the later compact version made from late 1976 on (175g), and the Hexar which was made from early 1975 to late 1977 and which is not really a compact lens (195g). The difference between the earlier types and the compact type is obvious at a glance - the latter is a much smaller and lighter lens with a different shape. Its aperture also closes down to f22.

In 35 years of Hexanon use, I have never seen an earlier, larger type of 28mm Hexanon with 5 elements. I also suggest you count the elements you have after taking apart your 50/1.7. That lens has a 6 elements/5 groups construction, so if you gave 5 elements on the table, one of them is a cemented two-element unit.

Cheers,