Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MD Rokkor-x 50mm f/1.4 & Tokina 28mm f/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:33 am    Post subject: Minolta MD Rokkor-x 50mm f/1.4 & Tokina 28mm f/2.8 Reply with quote

Hi guys. I recently got into manual focus lenses and I currently own a Pentax SMC 50mm f/1.7 and fell in love with it! (used to take photos below) Not too long ago, I bought a Minolta MD Rokkor-x 50mm 1.4 at a unbelievable price. I also ordered a mount from MD to EOS to use on my 60D. I am a bit scared because of all the talk about losing image quality and such because of the glass.. but the reviews on the mount (Fotodiox btw) seemed to satisfy a lot of people, so I gave it a shot. Currently waiting on it atm. My question to you guys is if I should pick up a Tokina 28mm f/2.8 with a Minolta mount. It's a pretty good price, local as well. I'm not too sure about the lens, because when I google it, the more recent Tokina 16-28mm pops up.

Heres some pics of my Minolta 1.4! Taken with Pentax 1.7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Minolta MD Rokkor-x 50mm f/1.4 & Tokina 28mm f/2.8 Reply with quote

Vintage wrote:
Hi guys. I recently got into manual focus lenses and I currently own a Pentax SMC 50mm f/1.7 and fell in love with it! (used to take photos below) Not too long ago, I bought a Minolta MD Rokkor-x 50mm 1.4 at a unbelievable price. I also ordered a mount from MD to EOS to use on my 60D. I am a bit scared because of all the talk about losing image quality and such because of the glass.. but the reviews on the mount (Fotodiox btw) seemed to satisfy a lot of people, so I gave it a shot. Currently waiting on it atm. My question to you guys is if I should pick up a Tokina 28mm f/2.8 with a Minolta mount. It's a pretty good price, local as well. I'm not too sure about the lens, because when I google it, the more recent Tokina 16-28mm pops up.

Heres some pics of my Minolta 1.4! Taken with Pentax 1.7

Images in your first post don't show up, it's an antispam measure. You'll be fine from now on.

As for the glass adapters, they are pretty terrible, so prepare for the worst. Your Minolta is a great lens and it would work fabulously on mirrorless (such as NEX), but with a glass adapter it wouldn't be able to match your SMC lenses. Consider this an investment for the future Wink

Last edited by fermy on Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:43 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Must be because this was my first post.

Thank for you the feedback as well! And yeah I know that the glass adapters are pretty bad, just wanted to see for myself. Indeed it is an investment regardless Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be curious to see some results with that glass adapter since I own a Canon also and Minolta lenses can go for fairly reasonable prices here.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a glassed adapter some years ago specifically to use a minolta md 50/1.4 on my sony dlsr.
Well, it worked, but the lens was almost unusable in any vaguely difficult situation (wide open, backlight etc).
Obviously it's fine if you just want to make an idea of the lens character, color rendition and so on.

I like the tokina a lot, it's sharp, with nice colour, and usually cheap.
Since you still have to buy it, and it's quite common, you could try and get it in some more convenient mount, such as m42.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@uddhava
Ill be posting some stuff as soon as the adapter comes home! Check in this thread in a few days time.

@Aanything
Yeah, my expectations are rather low for the incoming adapter. I'm anxious to see the results regardless though! And yeah, I'm still searching around. The tokina is definitely on my must buy list. Do you know any good places to look for one other than eBay?

Thanks for the feedback guys!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the area.
I usually go around for flea markets, but the possibilities to find something are quite inconsistent, and there are no places selling old cheap used stuff.
On eBay or kijiji (which is now called "ebay annunci" in Italy) you can still find good deals, but a huge dose of patience (and attention) is needed.

For example, I got my rmc Tokina 28 on "eBay annunci" for under €20+shipping, but it took me a while.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both lenses are great! I also have them both, i posted a topic about the Tokina 2.8/28 a while ago:

http://forum.mflenses.com/rmc-tokina-28mm-2-8-m42-in-middelburg-nl-t53353.html

Really love this lens, i'll never sell it!! (i have M42 version btw, but should be the same in MD mount)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see. I'm in California in the US so a bunch of thrifts should have it, but I've been very unlucky with all the ones I've been to. And eBay is like rolling a dice, it isn't uncommon to come across an item that is defective, which scares me! I'm definitely going to check out that eBay annuci thing though! I can be patient if there's lens worth being patient for. Smile

@TruLoveOne
Awesome bro! Good to hear there's others with both the same lenses. Only fuels my desire to buy it even more! Nice thread by the way, thank you for the feedback. The colors in the pictures in your thread seems extremely vibrant.. Which is what I'm looking for!