Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon eos 5/a2e
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Canon eos 5/a2e Reply with quote

What is the best method for getting rid of the sticky hand grip on the 5? Short of buying a replacement (which I cannot find anywhere). Same with the palm door on my eos 1n.
Both very annoying......................
TIA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the plastic in the hand grip has become gooey/sticky, this is a phenomenon known as plasticizer migration. I haven't had this happen to my older EOSes, but I have an old Metz 60 CT-1 whose battery cable has become sticky. I've just wiped it down firmly with paper towels, but this is a temporary fix. So I tried a search on plasticizer migration just now. Got a hit on a Barbie doll collectors website where this issue is discussed. They recommend washing the doll in warm water with mild detergent, then using talcum powder on the affected areas. This makes pretty good sense to me. It isn't a cure (there is none, far as I know), but it can be an effective stop-gap measure. Just wipe the grip down with a warm water/detergent solution and reapply talcum powder when it starts to get sticky again.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read a suggestion that 'Armourall' - the stuff you use on car interiors - works. But I haven't tried it, so I don't know if it's true.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no fix afaik. I had this problem with my EOS5 and I tried everything but to no avail. Eventually I covered the handgrip in black electricians tape which worked but didn't look the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am experimenting with covering the sticky grip with clear acrylic varnish (water soluble), have put two coats on now and 24 hours later there is no stickiness. Hope it works

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I see with doing that is you're putting a hard coating over a grip that has some give to it. The acrylic may crack and flake off. Instead of acrylic, a thin coating of silicone sealer -- clear or black -- might work. You would probably have to apply it by hand and smooth it with your fingers, though.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting topic. I have a camera with the same sticky grip problem. I'd thought of peeling it off but I imagine the grip cover would be mechanically locked into the body somehow.

I did acrylic technology as part of my Dental Technicians course and plasticiser migration was never mentioned. But that was probably not an issue in the 70's.

My girls have a few old barbies and the arms and legs went a different colour to the hard plastic body. I can tell them how to fix. I suspect that the plastic will remain the same colour.

Hey Barbie saves the day.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no problems with my hand grip. Fingers in continual crossed mode tho

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trev wrote:
Still no problems with my hand grip. Fingers in continual crossed mode tho

Laughing Now that's an interesting method of holding a camera! Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try pealing it off in one piece if possible. Use it as a guide on a piece of leatherette to cut and glue it in place. there are many styles of leatherette that will get you the desired looks.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used alcohol...rubbing it one way and it seemed to get rid of the issue on my A2.

Peace

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My couple of coats of acrylic is going strong, also put some on the so called palm door of my 1n and that did the trick too.
I used MICROSCALE MICRO SATIN (I had it handy) and it is totally water soluble and dries to a nice hard satin finish and its flexible so it wont crack etc.