Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

ISCO-GOTTINGEN WESTAGON 50mm f1.9
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: ISCO-GOTTINGEN WESTAGON 50mm f1.9 Reply with quote

I recently found rare ISCO-GOTTINGEN WESTAGON 50mm f1.9. I couldn't find more about this company except that this lenses is not so common. It is M42 mount with metal body that is in plastic body. Contraction is strange but well made. I test the lens on my Canon 6Dand results was that lens is extremely sharp from 2.8 even at the borders. First pic is of the lens, other are with lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shhh you'll inflate the ebay prices? Razz

Looks like a nifty 50 for sure.

Still, the more posts i see from 50mm's the more I realize there really aren't many super bad ones. Razz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebay prices for Westagons are already super-inflated IMO. There are apparently two designs for the Westagon, the earlier one is 2/50 and seems softer, the later version is the 1.9/50 which is better. I'm not sure about the later version but the first kind is an Ultron design, similar to the Yashinon 2/50 - except not as good. The later Westagon like you have is less common, probably because it was competing with the Westromat 1.9/50 from the same company. Maybe they're even the same lens but with a different name on them? The Westromat is more common either way.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, well know unfortunately...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice photos Srdjan. I regret not buying one when prices were low.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add confusion I have an Exakta mount 50/1.9 Westrocolor all-metal in "zebra" finish.
It may be my imagination but the layout seems rather like the Schneider Retina Xenon 50/1.9

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Just to add confusion I have an Exakta mount 50/1.9 Westrocolor all-metal in "zebra" finish.
It may be my imagination but the layout seems rather like the Schneider Retina Xenon 50/1.9

I had it once too, I bought it because it looks so handsome Very Happy, I thought the same Luis.
Now I have Schneider Xenon 50/1.9 black finish, results is different, specially bokeh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Pancolart. Indeed very interesting lens. History of the lens is very interesting also. I found that this company had something with Schneider in its history so that explain IAZA your lens. And this lens will also go in the end on ebay.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

ISCO's naming scheme is not particularly straightforward. I think they liked to change names on lenses every now and then just so they would sound new. For instance the 2.8/50 triplet can be found under the names Westar, Isconar, Iscotar, Iscolor, and Iscovitar! There are mechanical differences between the first three, but the name seems to be the only difference between the last three. Then there are wide angle westromats and normal westromats, and westanars and tele-westanars, but the long version of the Isconar is still just an Isconar... Confused