Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

good 300mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: good 300mm Reply with quote

I'm in search of a good 300mm lens for weddings ceremony. It's for my 6d so please recommend something that will not hit the mirror.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about mirror issues with 6D, but among the 300mm primes I had, the smc takumar 300/4, Pentacon 300/4 and Tair 3 are all good lenses - I ended up keeping only the Tair - two of them actually - because others had much higher resell value.
None of them is extremely light and weight can be relevant in a situation like a wedding.
Then, based on my (limited) experience with weddings, I think a good zoom (70-210, or even longer) would be much more versatile.
I mean, I imagine myself putting on and off the 300mm prime all the time, and that would be quite annoying - but as I don't know the conditions you will be shooting in, I may just be saying stupid things.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I do videos... not photo. So the lens would be on tripod the whole time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, ok. Weight is not such an issue, then

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeiss Vario-Sonnar 100-300mm is hard to beat. Expensive though.

For a cheap option, try the preset Soligor 300/5.5 which is great value and has low CA.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron SP 300mm f5.6 is getting a little hard to find, but great quality and uniquely close focus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vario-Sonnar due zoom is most useful to you and hard to beat with any prime.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Vario-Sonnar due zoom is most useful to you and hard to beat with any prime.

It's interesting, but I would have liked it to have constant aperture.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not super fast, but cheap.
This Minolta MD Tele Rokkor X 300mm f5.6 just sold for US$30

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Minolta-MD-Tele-Rokkor-X-300mm-f5-6-Telephoto-Lens-for-MF-minolta-SLRs-/271215179096?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=QEq0WzXTomPgjqK1CTuakANNuuo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Maybe this is the regular selling price for this lens.
I think it would be good optically, but fit Canon - not sure.
Probably lose infinity focus.
OH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:51 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a tripod? My vote goes to the Pentacon 300/4. Clickless aperture for video, and plenty sharp. No worries about the rear of the lens hitting the aperture either, nothing comes anywhere near projecting past the m42 mount.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I find the Pentacon 300/4, Tamron SP 300/5.6 and CZJ Sonnar 300/4 have too much purple fringing on digital. If you want a constant aperture then I'd go AF and recommend the Canon EF 300/4L or Canon EF 300/4L IS. Unbeatable IMO. Other options could be the Sigma 100-300/4, although it's heavy and not as sharp. The Sigma 120-300/2.8 is a stonker by all accounts but even heavier.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Personally I find the Pentacon 300/4, Tamron SP 300/5.6 and CZJ Sonnar 300/4 have too much purple fringing on digital. If you want a constant aperture then I'd go AF and recommend the Canon EF 300/4L or Canon EF 300/4L IS. Unbeatable IMO. Other options could be the Sigma 100-300/4, although it's heavy and not as sharp. The Sigma 120-300/2.8 is a stonker by all accounts but even heavier.

I'm not going autofocus lenses because it means I can't switch to different camera systems in the future.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor Nguyen wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

I'm not going autofocus lenses because it means I can't switch to different camera systems in the future.

Depends whether you're being paid for the weddings I guess. If so, surely you'd want the best iq rather than future compatibility? I forgot to add, the Olympus 300/4.5 also has purple fringing issues on digital too. The nikkor 300/4.5 ed is fairly good, but no clickless aperture.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

Depends whether you're being paid for the weddings I guess. If so, surely you'd want the best iq rather than future compatibility? I forgot to add, the Olympus 300/4.5 also has purple fringing issues on digital too. The nikkor 300/4.5 ed is fairly good, but no clickless aperture.

Meh, I don't need clickless aperture. Holy crap is that Nikkor cheap.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

300mm for a wedding??? Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
300mm for a wedding??? Shocked

I shot one wedding yesterday where its a catholic church. To keep the sanctity of the church we were put all the way in the back of the church. I had a 180mm on my t2i and with the crop factor and it was a medium shot (waist up). With the crop factor it should be close to 300mm right? I'm planning to use this lens on my 6d.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Nikkor 300mm f/4.5 AIS version (not ED) that is quite nice. I used to use it quite a lot in film days and on a crop-body d100. I can't say i have used it much since going Canon and Nex. It is certainly sharp - even at f/4.5, and I like the color and contrast and out-of-focus highlights it produces. Here are a few shots I made with it on the d100:

Good luck with the wedding!

Paul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdccameras wrote:
I have a Nikkor 300mm f/4.5 AIS version (not ED) that is quite nice. I used to use it quite a lot in film days and on a crop-body d100. I can't say i have used it much since going Canon and Nex. It is certainly sharp - even at f/4.5, and I like the color and contrast and out-of-focus highlights it produces. Here are a few shots I made with it on the

Paul

Wow your pictures are amazing. I do like Nikkor lenses so I'll probably get this one.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments!

I don't think you'd be disappointed with one. Here is Ken Rockwell's review of the lens: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/300ais.htm

They are pretty reasonably priced. KEH (www.keh.com) has them from about $100 - $200 (see pic).

I don't have the ED or ED-IF versions, but you certainly couldn't go wrong with either of those, except they may cost you more.

As Rockwell mentions in his reivew, beware of people trying to sell them without the tripod mount!

All the best,

Paul