Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon AV-1 and m42 lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Canon AV-1 and m42 lenses? Reply with quote

Anyone tried?

Especially, does the aperture priority exposure metering work correctly?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice Canon AV-1 was given to me, with 50mm 1.8.
I preferred to have another lens with it and found a 135mm 3.5 Canon FD lens and a lens mount converter for M42 cheap.
Playing with the set I discovered that the lightmeter of the AV- gave incorrect values (3 - 4 stops wrong, I have to set ISO 1600 for a film of 200 ISO), so I have to try to repair it first. Sad .
Sofar it looks that for the M42 lenses the lightmeter work comparabel; same deviation.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Canon AV-1 and m42 lenses? Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Anyone tried?

Well I haven't tried it till now..... and have just played with mine and it meters M42 lenses (stopped down) correctly and listening to the shutter it seems to be following what the meter says...but I suppose the only way to be sure is to put a film in it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
A nice Canon AV-1 was given to me, with 50mm 1.8.
I preferred to have another lens with it and found a 135mm 3.5 Canon FD lens and a lens mount converter for M42 cheap.
Playing with the set I discovered that the lightmeter of the AV- gave incorrect values (3 - 4 stops wrong, I have to set ISO 1600 for a film of 200 ISO), so I have to try to repair it first. Sad .
Sofar it looks that for the M42 lenses the lightmeter work comparabel; same deviation.

Well I had a lovely black AV1 and stupidly threw it away because it was 3 stops out, why was I stupid? because my 2nd AV1 meter stopped working correctly as well, so started to take the top off to dismantle to see where to oil for other Canons with mirror squeak, and the meter started working correctly again, so must have been a dry joint somewhere.........wish I tried the same thing with the black one as the top is so easy to take off. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Excalibur, I'll have a try.
On the other hand, I have taken the M42 > FD adapter and tried on a T70 I just got. All appaers to work correctly, just like shut down with the AV-1. I make some test pictures this weekend and see if it really works.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Canon AV-1 and m42 lenses? Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Anyone tried?

http://www.cameramanuals.org/canon_pdf/canon_av-1.pdf

Page 57

Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon AV-1 and m42 lenses? Reply with quote

Bille wrote:
kansalliskala wrote:
Anyone tried?

http://www.cameramanuals.org/canon_pdf/canon_av-1.pdf

Page 57

Wink

Thanks...but I won't use my AVI for stopped down lenses as I'd rather take my own meter readings than let the camera decide Wink

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard of adapting m42 to FD... hmm glad I read this! I have an AV-1 sitting on a shelf... nice camera, I ran a roll through it of some cheapo kodak 400... I need to order a c-41 kit and develop the 15 rolls or so of c-41 I have sitting around...

Any reason why you guys like the Av-1 compared to say a ae-1 or ae-1 p ? I don't know much about the av-1 so I am just wondering if there is some draw to it over the ae-1...

let me know! Only one thing is better than knowledge, and that is sharing it.

thanks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimithing616 wrote:
I have never heard of adapting m42 to FD... hmm glad I read this! I have an AV-1 sitting on a shelf... nice camera, I ran a roll through it of some cheapo kodak 400... I need to order a c-41 kit and develop the 15 rolls or so of c-41 I have sitting around...

Any reason why you guys like the Av-1 compared to say a ae-1 or ae-1 p ? I don't know much about the av-1 so I am just wondering if there is some draw to it over the ae-1...

let me know! Only one thing is better than knowledge, and that is sharing it.

thanks

Only reason I can think of is:- because it is Aperture priority, and Canon didn't want to be left out in that market (most ordinary consumer Canons are shutter priority). Anyway for anyone interested........ the AE1 and AE1p are much better cameras.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:

.. Anyway for anyone interested........ the AE1 and AE1p are much better cameras.

I agree, I sold 'em for years, never had a bad 'un

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon's Lens Mount Converter P, available used, is the best for mounting M42 lenses onto the Canon AV-1 and other Canon cameras designed for FD lenses. To allow proper metering with the AV-1 set to automatic shutter speed, the M42 lens itself has to be set to M (manual aperture) as opposed to A (automatic aperture) before the shutter release button is pushed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're thinking about using eBay to find an adapter, there are quite a few Canon Lens Mount Converter Ps on eBay right now, but predictably almost all of them are priced quite high. You can also buy on eBay a Chinese made adapter that works the same for much less.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i happen to have one up for sale.....

http://link.marktplaats.nl/689607388

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't expect Chinese ones to be very accurate, which is fine for adapting to mirrorless, but for film use I would rather get the Canon converter P.