Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

contax 139Quartz
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: contax 139Quartz Reply with quote

Hi,anybody able to give me any experience(good or bad)on this camera.I have been offered one in great shape for $50.Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one. Very bright viewfinder, exposure TTL metering, comfortable to hold, your body has something like skin that tends to peel. The electronically controlled shutter, no mechanical option. Camera was a good start. Good experience.

I think you should have put this post in the subforum of cameras, can be moved by any admin...
Happy shots!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks sorry mod may move.Regards

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a nice camera but nothing special, but as mentioned there is a problem with the skin....50 USD seems a bit high just for a body.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the Yashica "little sister", the FX-D.

I like it because it's so light, about one pound, but still solidly built.

The leatherette on these models is notoriously bad, but I found that if you peeled it off the cloth backing that's left is actually quite practical, very easy to grip. The cloth is admittedly ugly though.

EDIT - the used market in Canada isn't as nice as in some places, depending on where you are $50 for a fully functional body isn't a terrible price.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have one, don't care about the leather.

Very solid and nice to use. Takes also FX-D winder if you want.

Only problem it consumes batteries. (don't know if it is just my problem?)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Have one, don't care about the leather.

Very solid and nice to use. Takes also FX-D winder if you want.

Only problem it consumes batteries. (don't know if it is just my problem?)

+1 battery issue probably yours only, mine was stored in Everglades swamp for years, trully awful and cover all over with fungus, but still works like swiss clock, based on this I think a very durable , great camera, worth to fix silly design with leatherette.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I re covered my Yashica FX-D easily with some leather. I just peeled the old crap off and used it as a template, then glued it on the camera with contact adhesive. I think the body is virtually the same as the Contax so it shouldn't be hard.
And if you get get a decent sized bit of leather you can always allow for a few mistakes. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got two of them, nice ergonomy and very useable camera. They are the bottom caps of my Planars Wink
I keep one with the original leatherette that is a bit worn but still comfortable to use.
I like them very much.

The only problem with them are the seals that degrade with time. I had to replace them on both and also the mirror damper, but it's not a daunting task Wink.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thank all of you kind gentlemen for your illuminating comments on this camera and have decided not to buy at any price,I will stick with my Contax RTS & Yashica FR and of course with my C/Y to M42 I have more than enough choices of lenses.The annual $25 to support this Forum is the best value for money bar non(in fact it is a steal).Regards to all.