Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A battered Elgeet Cine Navitar 6"/3.8 DIY adapted on NE
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: A battered Elgeet Cine Navitar 6"/3.8 DIY adapted on NE Reply with quote

Look at the photos and you would see how heavily battered this lens is. However, it takes good pictures!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised

My reaction was: "Hahaha no way this old thing will... What ? Woooow not bad !!"

Pretty cool results !

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elgeet was a high quality manufacturer.
Much of its output was specialized optics for the military.
Their cine lenses were some of the few things they made directly for the civilian market.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billou wrote:
Surprised

My reaction was: "Hahaha no way this old thing will... What ? Woooow not bad !!"

Pretty cool results !

Yeah! I was amazed by the results too. In fact, apert from the poor condition of the lens body, the front optics are also not so clear due to damaged coating and some scratches. Smile Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Elgeet was a high quality manufacturer.
Much of its output was specialized optics for the military.
Their cine lenses were some of the few things they made directly for the civilian market.

I didn't know that it was a specialized optics manufacturer for the military. I have another Elgeet lens- 35mm/3.5 in Exakta-mount with black military finish. Image quality is excellent! That's why! Thanks for the info. Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the "Navitar" trade name was taken for their term for one of their very successful lenses, a 10" used for missile tracking for the US Navy, hence "Navitar".

The same trade name was used for high quality projection lenses and of course their civilian market cine lenses.

Elgeet lenses for civilian use, generally -

- Cine lenses (mostly)

- Projection lenses, high end (fairly common)

- Enlarger lenses (not too common)

- Some TLR portrait lenses in barrel for Beattie and I think also Camerz long roll cameras, mainly the famous 10". Uncommon. I have one. Fine lens.

- The 10" in shutter for large format (very uncommon). I have seen a couple of ex-military examples.

Anything else would be RARE.

Your 35mm for Exakta would be VERY rare. I never heard of one ! I certainly would like to see it.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. What is the mount of this thing?

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Yes, the "Navitar" trade name was taken for their term for one of their very successful lenses, a 10" used for missile tracking for the US Navy, hence "Navitar".

The same trade name was used for high quality projection lenses and of course their civilian market cine lenses.

Elgeet lenses for civilian use, generally -

- Cine lenses (mostly)

- Projection lenses, high end (fairly common)

- Enlarger lenses (not too common)

- Some TLR portrait lenses in barrel for Beattie and I think also Camerz long roll cameras, mainly the famous 10". Uncommon. I have one. Fine lens.

- The 10" in shutter for large format (very uncommon). I have seen a couple of ex-military examples.

Anything else would be RARE.

Your 35mm for Exakta would be VERY rare. I never heard of one ! I certainly would like to see it.

This is what it looks like. I must be getting old. It's a 40mm/3.5, not a 35mm/3.5. I know it's rare that it is in Exakta mount! Shocked Shocked

By the way, not sure why there is a "Coleman-Monitor" marked on it. What it stands for??? Question Question

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Looks good. What is the mount of this thing?

It originally was a c-mount lens. In order to adapt it for larger sensor (i.e. APSC), I removed the rear part and then inserted the remaining lens body into a M42 to EOS adapter. Then I used it on my NEX-5 with a EOS to NEX adapter. Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, you got me confused as heck. Did you remove some optics? Otherwise it's not clear why you needed to perform those transformations. I am sure you are aware of c-mount adapters for NEX...

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Whoa, you got me confused as heck. Did you remove some optics? Otherwise it's not clear why you needed to perform those transformations. I am sure you are aware of c-mount adapters for NEX...

Yes, I know. But the thing is, the rear most tube of the lens will restrict the size of the image circle (i.e. insufficient to cover APSC sensor). If you use a c-mount to NEX adapter directly, dark circle will be formed for all images.

By removing the rear tube, it allows the lens to form a larger image circle as well as increasing the flange distance. I can now use it directly on my Canon 50D, Pentax K-5 IIs as well as NEX-5, and without dark corners. That's why I did the adaptation. Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting !
Coleman may be related to Beattie-Coleman, which was a maker of industrial long-roll portrait cameras.
Elgeet did provide lenses to Beattie-Coleman.
Coleman-Monitor could have been a related brand set up for a different product ?

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ihagee.org lens list shows a Coleman-Dynamic 50/2.8
That may be related.
You may want to contact them to have your Coleman-Monitor Elgeet added. That seems like a new one for them also.
There is also an Elgeet 100/4.5 listed.
I have seen that lens in Leica mount. Also very rare. There were several US-made lenses adapted on focusing tubes in the 1940's-early 50's for Leica; that business ended when the German makers returned. It looks like a few like this were also made for Exakta. But the more typical ones used Wollensak lenses, not Elgeet.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="luisalegria"]The ihagee.org lens list shows a Coleman-Dynamic 50/2.8
That may be related.
You may want to contact them to have your Coleman-Monitor Elgeet added. That seems like a new one for them also.
There is also an Elgeet 100/4.5 listed.
I have seen that lens in Leica mount. Also very rare. There were several US-made lenses adapted on focusing tubes in the 1940's-early 50's for Leica; that business ended when the German makers returned. It looks like a few like this were also made for Exakta. But the more typical ones used Wollensak lenses, not Elgeet.[/quote]

You are brilliant! Very knowledgeable on different kinds of lenses! Thanks for the information. Smile