Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter 9 vs Nikkor 85 1.8 MF
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Jupiter 9 vs Nikkor 85 1.8 MF Reply with quote

I'm wondering if anyone has any direct experience with both the Jupiter 9 and any of the MF versions of the Nikkor 85 1.8. They both in the same price range, while I expect the Nikon doesn't have the kind of sample variation issues of the Jupter.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter-9 has no big difference either all good some of them even better Smile I have both. Generally J-9 same than Nikkor 85mm f1.8 non-ai.
Stopped down perhaps J9 even better, black Nikon pre-AI or AI may better than most Jupiter, but some J9 outstanding really.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are quite different lenses, probably worth to have both. If you look at the lens diagram, J-9 is a classic Zeiss Sonnar 7 elements in 3 groups, pre-AI Nikkor-H 85/1.8 is a modified Sonnar with two lens groups in the rear, 6 elements in 4 groups. Later Nikkors use formula similar to modern ZM Sonnar with no cemented elements at all, 6 elements in 6 groups.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the 85/1.8 Nikkor many years ago and the Kodachromes I got from it were certainly very good, although I didn't think they were as pleasing as those from my 90mm rangefinder Summicron. But that was purely preference, it lacked nothing in sharpness and 'bite', but the colours were somehow different.

If you can get one for the sort of price J-9s are selling for on eBay these days, I think it will be a bargain. Pre-AI and AIS versions will be fine on mirrorless cameras but maybe won't work on some/many/most Nikon DSLRs I think - although I'm no expert.

Yes, as Fermy says, if you can manage to get both it will be interesting. And you might even make a profit in the future if you sell one of them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses.
The Nikon makes more sense for me as I can put it right on my F100(though I don't use it much these days). The Jupiter would have to be significantly better, and I take it from Attila that it isn't.
Unfortunately I can't have both.