Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

T Mount - First type
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: T Mount - First type Reply with quote

Hi
I have recently purchased a Spiratone 105mm f2.5 lens in very good condition for £10 from a local charity shop.
It has an Exacta T mount, first type which is attached with three screws.
I would like to change this to an M42 type but am having problems finding them on ebay.
When I put T Mount in an Ebay search I get a thousand or so hits as it comes up with all the T Mount variants.
Is there a particular name for this type which can narrow down the search? I gave up scrolling through pages without finding any.
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a superb lens, congrats! Mine is labelled Aetna, but I think they're both made by Sankor. The good news Is that you just need a t-mount, or t2 mount if you like.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
Ok, so a T2 mount is only fastened with three screws into the mounting groove?
It seems that I'm a bit confused. According to Wikipedia it says that T2 mounts are 42mm threaded but with a different pitch to an M42 lens. I therefore thought that T2 mounts screwed on to the lens and didn't fasten only with the screws.
So a T2 mount will work fine?

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The t-mount is actually a two part piece. Loosen the screws just a bit and the mount should twist off along with the plastic groove piece underneath, revealing the 42mm thread.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great!
I fully understand now.
I had no idea they were in two parts. I thought that the grooved part was part of the lens. Now I've unscrewed it and this is where the 42mm x 0.75mm thread is hiding.
Thanks for the super quick help.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: T Mount - First type Reply with quote

Braddanman wrote:
Hi
I have recently purchased a Spiratone 105mm f2.5 lens in very good condition for £10 from a local charity shop.
It has an Exacta T mount, first type which is attached with three screws.
I would like to change this to an M42 type but am having problems finding them on ebay.
When I put T Mount in an Ebay search I get a thousand or so hits as it comes up with all the T Mount variants.
Is there a particular name for this type which can narrow down the search? I gave up scrolling through pages without finding any.
Thanks

Congratz, this lens is a hidden gem and a good performer. And such a good price too Wink

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
I've actually done quite well recently.
Up until recently I only had one 100mm lens, an Olympus Zuiko f2.8 that I bought about a year ago.
I then spotted this Spiratone in the charity shop window and dived in immediately. I didn't know about this lens in particular but in the back of my mind I remember having read good reports about Spiratone and for the price, well, it was a no risk buy.
Then a few days later I bought a Meyer Optik Orestor 100mm f2.8 for £20. I've relubed it and it's turning so smoothly. It just has a tiny bit of fungus so I'll clean that next. When I relube lenses I've been using white lithium grease but I found that it was too stiff for my liking. After relubing this and finding it again too stiff I remembered having read recently on this forum about adding a little bit of oil to loosen it up. I have an aerosol tin of "GT 85" with PTFE for my bicycle and so added a few drops of this and it's made all the difference.
Then yesterday I bought a CZJ 135mm f3.5 for £30. £30 because the lady selling wouldn't split up the bag, so I bought yet another Helios 44m, a Pentacon zoom and a Praktica and Zenit bodies. I have so many Prakticas and Zenits it's untrue, I don't know what to do with them all as they're not really worth anything to sell and I don't want to throw them away.
The Spiratone, Orestor and CZJ are all "Zebras" so look great together.
Maybe someone can answer another question. The Spiratone came with a Dual Range lens hood. Is this designed to be used fully extended for this lens and what other lens range does this hood cover?
Cheers